back to article Microsoft stocking fillers: Powershell 7, maybe even next year's Windows 10. But forget about Surface Earbuds

Though there won't be any Surface Earbuds in stockings this year, a Release Candidate of PowerShell 7 is looking likely and maybe, just maybe, we'll get a nearly finished Windows 10 20H1. 20H1 and done? Mere weeks after Windows 19 19H2, aka The Windows 10 November 2019 Update, aka 1909 began slithering into the hands of end …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But forget about Surface Earbuds

or Windows 7 v 2.0...

2. nevarre

This is what I hear whenever someone mentions balls. May or may not be safe for work depending on where you work. (Louie, the guy with the golf balls from the show The State, approximately 5 seconds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmZAXezkhA

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the ability to nuke a PC from orbit by installing directly from the cloud"

Typical. Just like game developers who seemingly always have the latest and greatest hardware to develop their games on, here comes Microsoft who imagines that everyone had a gigabit connection and nothing to fear from hackers.

I'm just waiting for the patch that will "ensure that the cloud service called is a proper Microsoft-certified server" and not an unregistered 3rd-party server in Hacker Homeland.

1. MatthewSt

Re: "the ability to nuke a PC from orbit by installing directly from the cloud"

I'm confused. Are you complaining that Microsoft are giving us this extra choice because it's not going to be usable by 100% of the world? It's not a replacement for ISOs (which are likely to be larger downloads than just the pieces required for your own computer)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Are you complaining that Microsoft are giving us this extra choice

first, they came with the choice (you can visit one of our branches OR use our super-duper user-friendly convenient app - and may your ass get fatter and rounder with our special fat-ass loan

but I didn't complain, because I had a choice (now I don't).

then, they came with the choice of having that really old, useless, dangerous W7 OS, which you can decide to update or not, OR, that new, shiny, wonderful, safe and cool W10 OS, that WILL update, and fuck your choice. But I didn't complain because I fucked their "choice" and stayed with W7.

See a pattern here?

1. MatthewSt

Re: Are you complaining that Microsoft are giving us this extra choice

I do indeed. You're against progress in all walks of life, not just in the Microsoft world. You're arguing that Microsoft are going to force Windows 10 on all of us by making it slightly harder to obtain Windows 10?

Vote with your feet. Change bank, change OS. Microsoft aren't forcing you to use Windows 10. They're not even forcing you off Windows 7. You don't like updates anyway so you're not going to notice it hit end of life (until TLS 1.3 comes along and TLS 1.2 becomes unsupported).

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "the ability to nuke a PC from orbit by installing directly from the cloud"

"Typical."

Silly you.

"here comes Microsoft who imagines that everyone had a gigabit connection and nothing to fear from hackers"

How so? Directly installing from an internet server is nothing new. Apple has done this for almost a decade and e.g. my HP laptop has an OS recovery download option built-in.

This is only an avenue to download an OS to a blank drive.

"I'm just waiting for the patch that will "ensure that the cloud service called is a proper Microsoft-certified server" and not an unregistered 3rd-party server in Hacker Homeland."

So far MS servers have not served malware, so where do you base your FUD?

Just don't mention this.

4. JohnFen

O365 integration?

Since this article is literally the first time I've heard of Surface Earbuds, this might be a stupid question, but...

What's up with O365 integration? What does that even look like? What benefit does it provide? I'm so confused by this!

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Re: O365 integration?

> What's up with O365 integration? What does that even look like?

”It looks like you are writing a letter. Would you like help with that?”

> What benefit does it provide?

None obviously

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like