back to article Copy that? We'll never join you on the Xerox side if you don't answer simple questions – HP

HP's board has snapped back at Xerox over its "hostile" $33.5bn takeover threat, saying the copier giant's refusal to answer lingering questions about the merger only magnifies their "concerns" about any tie-up and Xerox's future prospects. In the first week of this month, Xerox tabled a cash and share swap bid for HP Inc, …

1. Chris G

Due diligence

Now they have heard of it, they are thinking of using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Due diligence

Maybe with Apotheker at the helm Xerox would have had better chances...

2. The First Dave

Re: Due diligence

Only 'cos it was mentioned in court. How is Autonomy coming along, anyway?

3. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@Chris G Re: Due diligence

Sorry mate, had to down vote. HP and HPE are two different companies and yes IIRC that purchase you referenced happened between the split.

The truth is that there is only one person who would benefit from this merger.

Can you spell his name? Carl? Now what was it? icon?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bullet points, or bullets?

Those bullet points could easily apply to either company. Maybe they deserve each other, and like two fall-down drunks they can wobble down the street together until they fall over.

3. Imhotep

Show Me The Money

This is the part that would make me think twice: Xerox is offering $22 per share, $5 of which is in Xerox stock and $17 in cash. That Xerox stock is going to be in a highly leveraged company if the buyout goes through. HP stock is currently around $19. I would want a higher premium on the HP stock.

4. Alistair
    Windows

I think we need a new financial term:

Inventure Capitalist.

Lets invent some capital... Currently, Carl Icahn't is the leading practitioner of this school of crapitalism.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: I think we need a new financial term:

I would suggest another : board scum.

The waste that sits around and only speaks to try and ingest yet more company value while producing only layoffs and accruing debt.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe Xerox are trying to provoke HP into making a counter-bid against them. Given that they're the smaller of the two it would make more sense and presumably result in less debt. But I'd have thought that if combining the two was really a good idea a straight merger make most sense. No additional debt, just a question of which CEO gets fired the big pay-off as there'll then only be one.

1. Chris G

@Doctor Syntax

Whichever way it could go, I bet after losing the price of a small country, that HP will be looking into every nook and cranny and turning over every piece of paper before there is even a chance of something going through.

Then again, maybe not.

2. Mark 85

Since Icash has stock in both companies he really can't loose so maybe HP will go for hostile takeover of Xerox. Like you, I'm wondering why HP doesn't do that.

I guess the El Reg popcorn machine is in for a heavy workout.

6. luis river

More commonsense

Xerox and HP inc they are in uncertain future, CEO HP Enrique Lores will convert the company it on services and software one, one long way, moreover without cash, the aim is very very long and far. Moreover the office without paper is an world dream also very far. I think Xerox proposal it have more common sense.

7. FozzyBear
    Coffee/keyboard

Shame

Two great inventive companies once. Now past their prime scrapping it out in the board room and in the public arena like a school yard cat fight.

I'm not , not condoning it. It's just going to make for an interesting read over the next few weeks, months.

8. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

For crying out loud, can both you go and get a room?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like