back to article Just Docker room talk: Container upstart's enterprise wing sold to Mirantis, CEO out, Swarm support faces ax

Docker has handed the Enterprise portion of its containerization business to Kubernetes cloud outfit Mirantis in a surprise sell-off. The move will see Mirantis take on all of the products, intellectual property, and customer contracts, and at least some of the employees, of the Docker Enterprise container management service. …

1. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

Kubernetes was always going to win.

1. RyokuMas
      Mushroom

Re: The title is no longer required.

"Kubernetes was always going to win."

A while back I suggested trying the phrase "docker container orchestration" in various search engines - unsurprisingly, while most gave a variety of sources, at least everything above the fold on Google search was "Kubernetes".

So of course it was always going to win, just like Chrome did - it's easy when the company behind it has the monopoly on web search and can load the results.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Facepalm

Or it could just be that Google recognised the need earlier and put more resources into it. It's no secret that GAE is how Google makes money from Kubernete.

1. RyokuMas
          Big Brother

... and absolutely nothing to do with the amount of data that will be flowing through these containers, right?

Have we learned nothing from Google's treatment of emails, wifi, etc.?

1. Cowboy Bob

WTF are you on about? You do know how Kubernetes and Docker works right? And that no data goes through Google's systems when you use them?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

No, he's just on anti-Google mission.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: No data goes through Google's systems when you use them?

Of course it does.

Containers run as forked processes in jails. On a Google machine. They don't magically run in a 'cloud' somewhere.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: No data goes through Google's systems when you use them?

What are you on about? Docker and Kubernetes can be used anywhere. They're not tied to Google-owned hardware.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: What are you on about?

I read the thread as being that Charlie Clark had switched the emphasis from Docker/Kubernetes generally to GAE specifically. My comment was from that perspective.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mirantis will not take on all of the employees

They will take only a few of them and only for a short while.

“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.” - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

3. Cloudane

Argh! What now?

I just literally started learning Docker yesterday and wake up to this. So uh, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Most things on here are bad, right?

Mostly interested for what I guess will be the "community" version (I'll use it at work, but they're not big or rich enough to call themselves an 'enterprise', so CentOS rather than SLES etc) but should I abandon it before they start screwing it over in some way?

1. John70

Re: Argh! What now?

Maybe this will help with your decision.

https://www.guru99.com/kubernetes-vs-docker.html

1. Cloudane

Thanks. I was a literal day 1 (well, day 0.5) newbie so this article was just really badly timed for me to come across - now gone through a couple of hours of tutorials and wishing I'd got into Docker years ago as it'll make at least my personal VPS much easier to manage and keep secure...

With it being marketed towards the enterprise there's a massive wall of 'Enterprise IT Jargon (TM)' and 'Enterprise IT Block Diagrams of Doom (TM)' that act as a bit of a barrier to entry (which is why I never got around to even trying to learn how it works) and lost in all that was the confusion with the terminology. I found that this link helped to clear things up: https://www.sumologic.com/blog/kubernetes-vs-docker/

If I understand correctly it sounds like this is something I won't need to worry about unless I come across a much more upscaled scenario that warrants an orchestrator (at which point now you'd go for the awkwardly named Kubernetes rather than Docker Swarm) but that at my level of 'one server' we're just working with Docker Engine and the Docker Hub which are here to stay and nothing to worry about.

1. JoMomma

I think you've got a good handle on it. There are many single instance kubernetes instances you can play with. Check out Code Ready Containers for one, but there are literally dozens more.

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Flame

The last line of that article tells you everything you need to know about Docker

"The biggest drawback of Docker is that it doesn't provide any storage option."

My (very limited) experience of Docker:

It is really easy to install and get running, as in

sudo apt install docker && sudo docker install containername

If you want to do any post-install configuration to make the thing actually useful, that isn't so easy. It is much easier to set up a new virtual machine on your hypervisor platform and install it properly on that. That option will use a bit more RAM and storage space.

I think that containers will evolve to end up looking a lot like virtual machines. In a few years time, the extra hardware resources required for that won't really be a problem.

I think that containers will evolve to end up looking a lot like virtual machines. In a few years time, the extra hardware resources required for that won't really be a problem.

Some research suggests that for many workloads, VMs are just as resource-efficient as containers.

Back In The Day, IBM's VM was happily running dozens of virtual OS instances on S/370 systems with fewer resources than a smartphone. VMs can be very lightweight. Mostly the problem is bloated OS instances, and there are techniques such as the "library OS" model which fix that.

2. 9Rune5

" It is much easier to set up a new virtual machine on your hypervisor platform and install it properly on that."

"It"? What is "it"?

A piece of software?

With docker, I am able to package my service into an image. I get to debug the same environment as what is used in production.

With a VM, how do you update the service? Run an installer on the inside of the VM? What about dependencies? Update apache, maybe a little postgresql database? Do you end up with a similar configuration to what the developers have? Are these requirements documented? Do you read that documentation?

1. katrinab Silver badge

"What is "it"?"

Meaning no. 5 in the Oxford Dictionary

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/it

5. third person singular and with clause - Used to emphasize a following part of a sentence.

How do I update?

I duplicate the VM into my testing environment, run the update process, check it, repeat as necessary until it works, then snapshot the live environment and run the update there.

My point is, for anything other than a quick demonstration of what the product looks like, I probably don't want it configured the same way as the developer, because my requirements are different; and I find it easier to customise a virtual machine to my requirements than to customise a docker image.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> ... should I abandon it before they start screwing it over in some way?

If you're on Linux, one of the more fun things when learning Docker is finding out that the command line tools they teach you in the official training (eg Docker Machine), were deprecated nearly a year ago. The Docker Machine repo on GitHub has been rejecting Pull Requests to add new functionality.

Their suggested replacement... Docker Desktop. Which doesn't run on Linux.

Then there's Docker's close-to-unusable IPv6 support. The documentation makes it look like you just need to enable one variable. Nope, IPv6 doesn't actually work unless you disable Docker management of it and configure the stack manually.

This is not going to end well.

4. ForthIsNotDead
    Alert

I see a fork in 3...2...1...

Fork.

Re: I see a fork in 3...2...1...

And then they'll change root.

5. ForthIsNotDead
    Thumb Up

Good article here

Here's agood article showing the pros and cons of both Docker and Kubernetes.

Note that Docker has been forked 15K times already! WTF!

https://www.guru99.com/kubernetes-vs-docker.html

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Good article here

Hat are we talking about here, Docker Swarm vs Kubernetrs, rather than Docker containers vs Kubernetes?

2. Michael Hutchinson

And kubernetes has been forked 21k times. The number of forks isn't particularly meaningful.

The number of forks isn't particularly meaningful.

It is for the philosophers at the table.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Well I know Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.

3. andy 103

Docker and Kubernetes aren't interchangeable. It's not one vs the other. They do very different things.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

This is it. Also, Docker and Kubernetes are a mystery to anyone that doesn't use them, seems there is some misunderstanding here too.

6. teknopaul

embrace, extend, extinguish

Docker dev tool side of things got fscked by microsoft when they made a version that does not use oracle virtualbox and just happens to be incompatible with that approach. At least thats when I gave up on it. Our lot had a vagrant vs docker debate raging for a bit until Microsoft answered the question for us: vagrant.

I do the new split enablems them to focus on getting the dev side of thing working

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Re: embrace, extend, extinguish

Virtualbox doesn't strike me as something you would use in a serious enterprise setting.

Then there is the great risk that you might face a large blackmail demand if you fail to untick the wrong box

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/04/oracle_virtualbox_merula/

7. FuzzyWuzzys

Vagrant

Vagrant was killed, MS pushed their Docker fork to blank Virtualbox, I can see Docker as it is today being swalled up and lost. Shame as it's a great little technology.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like