back to article Double downtime: Azure DevOps, Google cloud users put the kettle on

Microsoft's Azure DevOps is suffering what it describes as "availability degradation" in the UK and Europe and parts of Google's cloud platform are also broken. The wobbles – sorry, "availability degradation" – have shut down Boards, Repos, Pipelines and Test Plans. Core services are meant to be working normally. Azure DevOps …

1. monty75

"Scalable" - all the way from zero up to zero.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

5 nines...

that would be 9.9999% availability

2. iron Silver badge
    Facepalm

> Google's Kubernetes Engine has experienced issues for the last few days... hopes to have everything fixed by Wednesday.

I'm glad to hear Google's cloud is fit for purpose and a great place to host my apps / data / etc. Oh wait.

1. Tigra 07
      Meh

RE: iron

"hopes to have everything fixed by Wednesday"

Ah. But, which wednesday?

3. Steve Kerr
    Pint

Hooray for public cloud

Like clouds in the real sky, they have a tendency to evaporate - time to go for a beer looking at the clear blue sky.....

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

In time, I'm sure Cloud will be great

Right now we're still learning the ropes. I am convinced that Cloud is complicated, and DevOps, go fast and break things, and all the new thingamabobs they keep adding to remain "competitive" are certainly not helping in the stability and availability sides of the operation.

In twenty or so years, when the long-toothed DevOps guys have actually gained the wisdom of experience, I'm sure Cloud progress will be at a much more sedated pace, and availability will be up there with the famous Five Nines.

But first, we're going to have to live through the breakneck (and neck-breaking) pace of those young whippersnappers who have to invent everything Right Damn Now and get it into production yesterday.

I'll keep my data on my own network during that time, thank you very much.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: In time, I'm sure Cloud will be great

I wish I could agree, but consider:

1) AWS was first, but it is only within the last two years that they even STARTED to treat multi-data center deployments as a thing. You do NOT have reliability without MDC.

2) M$ well-earned reputation for quality is fully-duplicated in Azure. I'm not keeping careful count, but it seems like the number of fails is trending up, not down, over time. Moreover, their post-mortems make it abundantly clear that they simply do not get reliability engineering.

3) Despite the above, the market does not appear to be taking G seriously.

Which means, that we're dealing "new day, same ****" garbage that has made professionals embarrassed by association to call ourselves "engineers" for decades.

My prediction: the cloud will eventually become stable, because everyone will have moved on to the latest greatest, and unused servers have perfect reliability.

1. MatthewSt

Re: In time, I'm sure Cloud will be great

Google have historically been a bit trigger happy in deciding that they no longer want to run particular products, which may have something to do with it

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"We are investigating an issue with an infrastructure component..."

Now if they had used a cloud service instead... Oh, wait...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We're not there yet but we're heading towards at high speed

We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That's a clear prescription for disaster. Carl Sagan

7. johndougherty

What If

Azure DevOps is actually running on the Google Cloud?

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: What If

Then they will have fewer outages.

Source: I'm employed by a company in Azure. Previously, I worked for G.

8. RichardB

Its just scale

When my infra cocks up it knocks out a project or 3 for a while.

When GCP cocks up it knocks out many, many projects for a while.

Question is, for -me- are they more likely to cockitup, or me? I still think that for anything outside my core skillset and that of those around me, it's a fair bet that theirs will be significantly better, with the added advantage that when they _do_ mess up, it's pub time not panic stations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its just scale

"with the added advantage that when they _do_ mess up, it's pub time not panic stations."

If that really is the case, then you must be in a small company. If you had everything running in the 'cloud' with the big mistake of using a single provider, 'your' infrastructure going down should trigger your BCP, meaning evaluating what to do and if you should carry out your BCP. Meaning a lot of work for you.

1. RichardB

Re: Its just scale

Hahahahahhahahahhahaaa

9. AVee

The German solution

It seems like Microsoft resolved the Azure issues using the tried and tested German solution: "Reboot macht immer gut."

From https://status.dev.azure.com/_event/157751654:

"We identified the issue with identity calls and our engineers rebooted the ATs to mitigate, which has brought the system back to a healthy state."

So that's fixed, it probably won't happen again...

10. Dedobot

Yesterday i found one of the fillers down. 10yrs old gtech xl fc 16 bay. It have dedicated ups , same age.

The UPS screen show - " its time to power off" !.

Even ups and clouds needs a rest :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021