back to article Surveillance kit slinger accused of slapping 'Made in America' on Chinese gear, selling it to the US government

Staff were cuffed in a police raid on Thursday at the offices of US surveillance equipment vendor Aventura Technologies. The workers are now facing criminal charges for allegedly passing off Chinese-made gear as stuff built in America, and selling it to Uncle Sam and its military. Aventura has also been charged (PDF) as a …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Made In

Yeah, we mark engine components with Made In Germany and Made in USA on them.

They just add some tiny detail and there you go made in XYZ...

1. TheVogon

Re: Made In

So what's the issue? Chinese made kit is bound to be better quality than anything made in the US.

2. Mitoo Bobsworth

More Americans Get Arseholed

Gotta love that US snake-oil. Fantastic stuff. Even works for Military applications.

3. Schultz

Value added!

I am pretty sure that the sticker saying 'made in the USA' added a lot of value! By common sense, if most value is generated by the manufacturing process in the USA (i.e., putting on the sticker) it should be called a US product! :)

But apparently, the FTC disagrees: if any significant part of the product was assembled elsewhere, you can't use the label. Well, there is common sense and then there is common sense. Tough luck.

1. Chris G

Re: Value added!

There's the crucial bit ' assembled' .

As I understand it, you can buy all of the components for an item, from abroad and then assemble them in America and then legally slap a Made In America label on it.

After 13 years I assume most of this stuff worked okay.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Outside the US, the "Made in USA" sticker usually means it's over-priced and poorly built, or on a good day, just over-priced.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is anything electric made in the UK?

1. Bendacious

I find that baking show quite dynamic and exciting.

2. H in The Hague

"Is anything electric made in the UK?"

Test equipment: Wayne Kerr and Megger

V high quality sound consoles: Cadac

I think Siemens also manufacture stuff in the UK

Possibly also Thorn Lighting and CCT Lighting

AF Switchgear

And others which I cannae remember as it's wine o'clock.

Have a good weekend.

3. phuzz Silver badge

Raspberry Pi? Well, for given values of "made in Britain".

Also the McLaren P1 is hybrid right? Does that count?

4. TwistedPsycho

So what they are saying is that they would have preferred the company to import the components from China, with the same vulnerabilities, and hired a few US workers to assemble them.

Then of course you can stick 'Making America Great.... Maybe' all over them.

1. Oliver Mayes

Ah, the Apple model I see. Import chinese components to a "factory" in Texas where minimum wage workers plug part A into slot B and apply the Made In Merka stamp.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Surely if it's simply "America", rather that "the USA", they could do the assembly in Mexico (or even further south) and pay even less money?

Probably need some other scheme to get around Trump's "great wall" tariffs in that case though...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now you've done it.

You will get a swarm of people defending Apple as true and great and the only real local producers. Even though there cannot possibly be processor fabs for them locally!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not jsut the Apple model, it's the "pretty much every company in the world" model.

Seriously, try and find a product made up of multiple components that doesn't have some parts made in China.

4. eldakka

Extra points if the labourers in the factory are undocumented.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Prosecutorial pomposity

"With today’s arrests, the defendants’ brazen deceptions and fraud schemes have been exposed, and they will face serious consequences ... "

Somehow I always find these announcements from US prosecutor offices, carefully detailing the names and identities of the accused, the charges against them, and the maximum sentences they are facing a bit bizzare. Aren't these people innocent until proven guilty? Isn't it possible some or all of them have done nothing wrong (that's why trials, juries, and judges still exist after all)? Don't these announcement jeopardize their right to a fair trial by biasing their peers - the potential jurors? Even if they are found guilty, they'll eventually serve their sentence and rejoin the community - so shouldn't we make it a bit easier by allowing them some privacy where possible?

So many questions, and so few anwers ...

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: Prosecutorial pomposity

USA has a legal system, not a justice system...

Now consider your statements in this light...

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"USA has a legal system, not a justice system..."

ALL countries have legal systems. Justice is incidental and should never be taken for granted.

2. Cav Bronze badge

Agree with the first part of your post but:

"Even if they are found guilty, they'll eventually serve their sentence and rejoin the community - so shouldn't we make it a bit easier by allowing them some privacy where possible?"

If they are found guilty then they deserve the publicity and no privacy - after being found guilty. Not only are they punished but the publicity acts as a deterrent.

1. eldakka

Not only are they punished but the publicity acts as a deterrent.

Right, it also means anyone convicted of anything, however minor, is haunted for the rest of their life after release with it. Which means they can't get any jobs because they have a criminal record, not even cleaning tables in a diner. Which means they either have to live off other family members who can support them or, in the most likely cases where the family can't afford to support such a person, their only option is to return to crime as that's the only job they can find. Thus perpetuating the cycle.

The reason ex-cons are more likely to re-offend, thus are automatic suspects ("the usual suspects") in proximate criminal activity, is that they have no other options, they are unemployable because of the way the US treats ex-cons, so their only viable option is to earn a living the only way they can, "work" that is criminal.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll bet this happens a lot

They just aren't usually caught. A small vendor like this doing it on all their products is an easy target. One of the big companies that takes a shortcut of using Chinese equipment to fulfill a contract for CCTV or whatever while having factories to build custom hardware like tanks or laser guided bombs would get away with it 100% of the time. Even if they are found out it would be handled quietly, to avoid creating a stink and jeopardizing the delivery of those big ticket weapons.

1. Merrill

Re: I'll bet this happens a lot

Most likely they were not a prime contractor, but a subcontractor to a prime that needed them to fulfill their obligation to throw a percentage of the contract to a "woman or minority owned business". I wonder who they were actually supplying the equipment to.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a scheme the US government says ran as far back as 2006

I think the cousins got it wrong, there's this UK tech company run by a US genius friend of a current UK PM, a rented po box and an line in California, this has just been declared a viable, legit UK business, what's the problem with slapping made in USA on Chinese gear then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For some reason, this pleases me ...

I can recall a lot of talk about diluting food labelling until it was useless, so that consumers couldn't swerve GM food. (Watch out UK, it'll be headed your way when you sign up with Uncle Sam).

So for it to bite the government on the ass like this ... you reap what you sow, my friends.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For some reason, this pleases me ...

Not for me. I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay EU premiums.

Only the poor that voted for Brexit will be subject to US high fructose corn syrup dreck. Which is fine because as long as there are no foreigners getting in, they will all be better off...

...until new trade deals are struck and we have free trade agreements with even more countries with cheap labour to offshore to.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"some of the allegedly dodgy gear contained known security vulnerabilities"

Ha ha ha ha ha haa !

"some"

Pfft!

HA HA HA Ha Ha Haaa !

1. MrReynolds2U

Re: "some of the allegedly dodgy gear contained known security vulnerabilities"

definitely not made in American then; or else it would _all_ contain security vulnerabilities... sorry government stipulated back-doors

10. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

21st Century 'Nike Moment',....

It's hard to imagine how, after Nike had it's 'Nike Moment', (and Apple similar) such important contracts don't warrant a trip to the factory, and given it was supposedly in Long Island, it would hardly have been an onerous task to go visit. Even if they were sourcing products that were declared to have been manufactured in China, the end user should still visit the factory to make sure it's not staffed by minors etc. There's no excuse for this really.

1. stiine Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: 21st Century 'Nike Moment',....

Ah, but child labor laws are enforced by a different department, the Department of Labor, so they would /never/ have been allowed to report on the Made in China labelling on the products even if they had performed a workplace visit to confirm that everyone was old enough to work there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No air miles and hotels. Factory inspections are holiday trips. A trip to Long Island would only be of interest to inspectors from the West Coast

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

Not even that...

Have you *been* to Long Island?

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Pint

I heard that they had some good tea ?

11. Lazlo Woodbine

Flakes...

All what we got here's American made

It's a little bit cheesey

But it's nicely displayed

Well we don't get excited when it

Crumbles 'n' breaks

We just get on the phone

And call up some Flakes

They rush on over

'N' wreck it some more

'N' we are so dumb

They're linin' up at our door

F Zappa...

12. mikiep

You know what ... they wrote the 'made in america' in chinese '美國製造'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Geopolitical fails of all sorts

That would be "美国制造". Note the simplified characters here, like they use in the great state of Social Credit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Geopolitical fails of all sorts

... in the great state of Social Credit.

That's yet another thing Chinese have stolen from us! (And no, the Albertan/Canadian version wasn't particularly nice either.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like