back to article Ransomware freezes govt IT in Canadian territory of Nunavut, drops citizens right Inuit

A malware infection has crippled the IT operations in the remote Canadian territory of Nunavut. An alert from the provincial government on Monday says that "all government services requiring access to electronic information" are being impacted by what they describe as a "new and sophisticated" infection. "Essential services …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    FAIL

Meanwhile, Nunavut has some company in Spanish media company Cadena SER, who this week was revealed by Spain's National Security Department to be one of a group of local companies to fall victim to a ransomware outbreak in that region.

Don't forget IT consultancy firm Everis got hit too.

I find it ironic that "Everis, an IT consultancy firm owned by the NTT Data Group" getting hit with ransomware.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"new and sophisticated"

Would that be "new" as in "well, it's the first time it's hit us"?

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Interesting.

Maybe it's the same crew that recently attacked Johannesburg?

Definitely a shift in tactics, as most corporations (those with money anyway) have bolstered their IT infra and ne'er-do-wells have a much better chance trying out other targets with a poor IT track record.

Going to be interesting going forward.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good writeup from Brad Duncan

Good writeup from Brad Duncan

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Malspam+with+passwordprotected+Word+docs+pushing+Dridex/25042?_ga=2.24578682.152844861.1561663833-417926738.1551747996

5. GnuTzu

"...hackers have opted to go international in search of softer targets."

?!?!?! {insert here snide comment about the history of low-hanging fruit and countries known for hacking across international boundaries.}

O.K. So, maybe there's been a shift. But, I think this one has been predicted.

It's been known that Internet technology, IoT, phone apps, etc., is becoming more and more mandatory. I suspect we're quite a ways off before we can expect any kind of sigmoid curve style leveling off. And, that suggests that this kind of increase will be exponential for the foreseeable future. That means that we can expect to see ever increasing shifts toward low hanging fruit targeted across all kinds of borders.

In fact, with what I've seen from rural government web sites, like ones still allowing SSL v2 (as found with Qualys, thank you), I'm surprised that we're only just now seeing this kind of commentary.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

spearphishing also in south

been attacks on state gov bodies in Oz using loaded emails. Noticed before some idiot clicked on link so no reported damage

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like