back to article From Instagram to insta-banned: Facebook wipes NSO Group workers' personal profiles amid WhatsApp hack rap

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are today busy deleting the personal profiles of employees at NSO Group amid an ongoing legal battle. This move to wipe said staff off the face of Mark Zuckerberg's sprawling cyber-empire comes the day after his antisocial network sued NSO for allegedly illegally hacking the smartphones …

1. Blockchain commentard

How to p!ss off a hacker group. Can't see this backfiring when they find the next Facebook/Messenger backdoor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How to piss off a "state backed" hacker group.

FTFY

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

NSO Group were not friends of Facebook before this. They're not anyone's friends.

2. JohnFen

Not helping

""Why? Because I work for a company called NSO Group, and according to their statements, have found and used vulnerabilities in their WhatsApp architecture, to provide security agencies and governments sophisticated tools to prevent the next 9/11."

Craven appeals to fear like that aren't a good look for you, NSO.

1. DCFusor
      Thumb Up

Re: Not helping

Hey - I got a good laugh out of that "we don't allow our software to be used nefariously" line.

What a crock. Not only is that impossible, it's already been misused - the point of the retaliation exercise!

Aw, you attack someone who then denies you their "free" services. Where's that tiny violin, I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

1. JohnFen

I have to admit that Mr. Brenner's LinkedIn post brought me joy. It was an impotent, whiny, butthurt screed from an employee of disreputable company and I couldn't help but smile.

1. stiine Silver badge
          Devil

I can't wait for the discovery phase of this case.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Methinks the lady doth protest too much, methinks

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      WTF?

Let's see...catfight between two "less than righteous" corporations. Remind me again why I should care?

1. Intractable Potsherd

Because its fun! Neither side is going to come out of this well, so get the popcorn and the liquid refreshment out to enjoy the damaging evidence on both that comes out :-)

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Hopefully, they both get what they deserve.

My use of Facebook is minimal at this point. If some of the "obscure technology" groups I'm interested in didn't use it, neither would I.

4. teknopaul

I think what he means by "prevent the next 9/11." Is that NSO group now develop tools that directly manipulate public opinion in the US to justify whatever war they want next: without the _need_ for a false flag op like 9/11.

Perhaps its a threat.

3. cantankerous swineherd

first they came for NSO...

couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people though.

4. colinb

its not high tech that's needed

"Because I work for a company called NSO Group, and according to their statements, have found and used vulnerabilities in their WhatsApp architecture, to provide security agencies and governments sophisticated tools to prevent the next 9/11"

Ya well they didn't need "sophisticated tools" to prevent the last 9/11 just not to be silo'd and hate each others agencies.

And oh yeah when getting a direct tip actually follow it up.

"On August 11, 2001, Moussaoui and his roommate, Hussein al-Attas, arrived in Egan, Minnesota and checked into a hotel. Moussaoui began classes at Pan Am Flight School there on August 13, 2001. On Wednesday, August 15, 2001, an employee at Pan Am called the FBI's Minneapolis Field Office because the employee and other Pan Am employees were suspicious of Moussaoui."

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: its not high tech that's needed

And oh yeah when getting a direct tip actually follow it up.

The US intelligence agencies got the complete "blueprint" for 9/11 attack about 3 months before it happened with KSM was arrested in Manila, Philippines.

The information was not "actioned" (or taken seriously) because the Americans all believed that "no one DARES to attack US soil".

1. colinb

"no one DARES to attack US soil"

they must have had short memories. The Trade Towers were already car bombed in 1993. 6 dead, >1000 injured.

Bad enough but the plan was to collapse the north tower into the south, if the bomb was in a different position that might have happened.

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Yeah, our pre-9/11 stance felt almost full-on May West. ("I have always relied on the kindness of strangers.") People who were paying attention were VERY worried. I was actually fighting low-grade panic attacks after spy plane incident off Chinese water.

5. keithzg
    Mushroom

Very Aliens vs. Predator

There are no good guys, and of course whoever wins we stand to lose.

1. JohnFen

Re: Very Aliens vs. Predator

I agree, except I think of it as "whoever wins, we all win", if only because it caused two bad actors to waste a bunch of time and money fighting each other.

6. IGotOut Silver badge

Really

by the world's greatest privacy violator in the history of mankind, AKA Facebook," ..

Whilst posting on LinkedIn, the 2nd largest...

1. JohnFen

Re: Really

Say what you will about Facebook and LinkedIn, at least they aren't selling weaponized software to depots and other ne'er-do-wells.

1. Antonius_Prime
        Joke

Re: Really

"at least they aren't selling weaponized software to depots and other ne'er-do-wells"

Like warehouses? :P

The scourge of storage areas must be stopped!

I kid!

Couldn't resist the gentle-ish poke...

7. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Such a sad story

That f***book and the like are still in existence

8. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Big Brother

"NSO Group has countered that it does not allow its software to be used for any illegal surveillance and only sells its tools to legit governments and agencies that investigate terrorism and crime."

"Here Mr Government, buy our software for spying on terrorists only, it won't work on your political adversaries, Journalists, wikileakers, dissidents or the minorities your government is prejudice against"

And how do they ensure that it's software isn't used for any illegal surveillance? have they a back door that reports to them every purpose for which their software is used?

Get real, stop spouting waffle, spy software is spy software, it spies on people, nothing you can do to stop that other than not produce it in the first place.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dictators daughters

Then US Government should insist that all close friends and family of sanctioned persons should also be banned from this and streaming services.

Nothing would scare a dictator more than his teenage daughter having a strop because she cant use instagram or spotify

10. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Mushroom

NSO Group only allows its software to be used for legal oppression. It will not sell to any regime that uses it for illegal oppression.

11. M7S
    Black Helicopters

I’m Spartacus, and so’s my wife

I don’t work for NSO group, and I have no social media accounts, but if there’s a way of getting the latter situation enforced by the likes of FB (just so long as that includes them not silently compiling data about me from elsewhere and using/selling it) then where can I sign up?

12. southen bastard

If i say i work for nso on my old fb page that i cant seem to get rid of will they deleat it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like