back to article Red hangs up the Hydrogen phone as firm exits handset business

Iconic camera company Red has upped sticks and quit the smartphone biz following the retirement of its founder Jim Jannard and mobe-fondlers' dismal reception of the firm's first effort, the Hydrogen One. In a statement issued on the Red community forums, Jannard explained the reasons for his stepping down. I have spent the …

1. x 7

Who? Never heard of them

And this is news?

A company no-one has heard of, run by a bloke no-one has heard of, stops making a phone no-one has heard of, or purchased

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Who? Never heard of them

They make probably the best cinema cameras around, so it's a stretch to say "A company no-one has heard of" but equally it was a stretch for a company who make huge and expensive cinema cameras to expect they could enter the mobile phone market

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

If the sensor module had arrived it would have essentially been a camera attachment for their existing equipment which would have been an actual but very niche market. Without it though…

2. Giles C Silver badge

The cameras are very good, a lot of the major film studios use them - all the hobbit films were shot on them.

But they have always been known for professional level cinema equipment, until reading this article I didn’t know they even attempted to make a phone.

1. Ruisert

Same here. Red cams are well known in the digital video game, but I had no idea they made phones.

2. spold Silver badge

That's the trouble with them Hydrogen Phones....

Hydrogen One one minute Hydrogen Gone next minute,

H2 one minute, under H2O next minute.

1. Munkstar

Re: That's the trouble with them Hydrogen Phones....

I’ll get your coat ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I think we can give him a lot of credit for Red (the camera, not the colour); not sure about Oakey though. The more fashion-conscious folk here might have a thought or two on this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you tell me you’ve produced a holographic display...

That sort of sets up certain expectations. I might, for example, expect a full blown projection of Princess ****ing Leia to pop out of the screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When you tell me you’ve produced a holographic display...

Really? I think you underestimate the self-censorship of the US media and film industry.

5. RainbowTrout

Bought one......

I foolishly bought one last December rather than an iPhone XR. Battery life is great but I am now on my 3rd handset as the fingerprint sensor failed on the other 2. And to add insult to injury, AT&T refuses to allow WiFi calling which Verizon and T-mobile does. The 3D camera is a neat gimmick though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Predictable

The hydrogen one was originally sold to the faithful as the epitome of REDs modular approach (https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/9/15944046/red-hydrogen-one-phone-modular-camera-patent), once the accessories failed to materialize they tried to market it as a high-end phone to the general public which was never going to be successful, REDs past successes largely relied on either providing functionality that no one else did or undercutting the leaders on price, something they were never going to accomplish in an industry where the leaders ship 10s of millions of units quarterly. the funny thing is the modular approach was probably doomed to failure as well, and RED seems to understand this, as the most recent camera they released, the Red Ranger, completely abandoned the DSMC2 modules in favor of all the most commonly used features being integrating into the camera body itself.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

It cost over a thousand bucks

and had features that are basically six to ten years old, and there were still people to buy it ?

I am gobsmacked.

With the thickness, the bezels, the dismal camera quality, I would have expected it to be priced at $80, not more than a grand.

Extreme pricing failure.

8. Stuart Castle Silver badge

"inventions wrapped in art".

We have a couple of RED ONE Cameras where I work (or did. I no longer work in that department, so no idea how many we have now). They are excellent cameras, and have been used on a lot of high-end TV shows, and films. I realise Art is subjective, but while I'd call Red equipment excellent , if a little over priced sometimes (we had to replace the cable to connect a video monitor to one of our Red ONEs, it was 1 ft long, had proprietary connectors and cost > £80), they are, IMO, ugly, military designs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like