back to article Steve Bannon-backed flick attempts to expose evil lurking at heart of Huawei *cough* Huaxing

Steve Bannon – former Trump adviser and long-term rattler of sabres against China – has produced a piece of propaganda thinly disguised look at recent events at America's favourite bogeyman, Huawei. The subtly titled Claws of the Red Dragon concerns a fictional Chinese technology firm called, wait for it, Huaxing*. Or possibly …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Yeah, sure

Given that the whole Huawei hoopla started with lies, I am giving zero credit to this new raft of lies. We know exactly why US Republicans are on the warpath against Huawei : Huawei has 5G network tech ready, and Cisco does not.

Let me be very clear : you have the right to be unhappy about the fact that your country is not the leader in a given domain, you do not have the right to slander and cheat your way to leadership.

Instead of dissing Huawei, kick Cisco's butt and make it do something worth something in the 5G arena.

On top of that, it's really rich to have the party of Free Enterprise be against capitalist competition when they're not the ones winning.

1. Mark 85

Re: Yeah, sure

..., you do not have the right to slander and cheat your way to leadership.

I thought that was politics as usual.

2. NonyaDB

Re: Yeah, sure

You do know there are no Republican politicians anywhere near Cisco's HQs, right?

You do know Cisco doesn't donate to Republicans, right?

Obviously you don't know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least they have the free choice not to.

2. big_D Silver badge

Huaxing

Is that American for hoaxing?

But it's okay, the Chinese company will prevail, because the CEO has planted Huacrux in several key parts of the international comms architecture and he will be impossible to kill.

Waiting for the the sequel, where Chuck Norris is sent in to find and destroy the Haucruxs

1. Teiwaz
      Coat

Re: Huaxing

Waiting for the the sequel, where Chuck Norris is sent in to find and destroy the Haucruxs

I wouldn't bank on that than how far I could Chuck Norris.

1. Alistair
        Windows

@Teiwaz:

I thought Norris got sent to the gym last year.... Or was that the Gin?

1. Teiwaz

Either way, lucky it's not the Gyn, don't go there lads, just arsk Gazza.

3. Dinanziame Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Propaganda

By the way, what happened to the claims that some hardware components included a magic chip spying for the Chinese government? If I remember correctly, Bloomberg claimed there was conclusive evidence, nobody ever found anything, but the story was not retracted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Propaganda

The magic chips are causing all references to them to be deleted as they pass through the affected servers.

I think Bloomberg was hoaxed, personally, but they are not the kind of organisation to admit to that.

1. Chris G

Judging by a fair proportion of what they publish I thought Bloomberg was a hoax.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I think Bloomberg was hoaxed, personally

And Bloomberg is an organisation that really, really doesn't bother to fact-check stuff - especially if it's a tasty nugget that can get them some extra clicks..

Much like most internet news orgs. Except the all-seeing Vulture Eye of course.

1. jake Silver badge

"especially if it's a tasty nugget that can get them some extra clicks.."

Hands up everybody who parsed that as "extra chicks".

2. Teiwaz

Re: Properganda

Bloomberg should have been told to produce the evidence if it was that conclusive.

Might as wee roll out a couple of staff dressed in Peter Sellers era imitation Chinese dress to confess as 'proof' as is.

4. Teiwaz

Eee'rk!!

I don't which this sounds like it is more similar too, the Spoof Team America movie or one of those early/mid 20th Century 3rd Reich productions.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Bannon

Do you think Bannon really believes this stuff or is it just the latest right wing transfer from the Jews? The language is very similar. Only these days the Right has to keep quiet about international banking conspiracies because they would sound so daft after 2008, whereas ruling the world through 5G is scary enough to trigger every conspiracy nut out.

Someone needs to start testing the effect of 30GHz microwaves on our precious bodily fluids.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bannon

I think it's very offensive.

2000 years of service as the official hate group suddenly replaced by cheap imported Chinese figures of hate.

We killed the son of God, all they did was make phones cheaper.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Some fundamentalist Christians might think it was an admission.

No, the Jews did not kill Steve Jobs. But yes, Huawei did undercut Apple.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've always meant to do a handy, cut-out-and-keep guide to who we're supposed to hate this century as I lose track. Broadly the last 1500 years it's been Jews, Jews, Jews, Jews, Jews, Jews, Jews, Muslims, Jews, Muslims, Jews, Jews, Catholics, Catholics, Catholics, Germans (an unusual secular entry, for a few years only), Muslims, and I think that brings us pretty much up to date.

The next century is looking pretty up for grabs at this point, but frankly the Chinese are going to have to up their game if they want in.

1. jake Silver badge

"who we're supposed to hate this century"

Well, it depends. Who is "we", Kemosabe?

2. Loatesy

Weren't the Sov's up there in the top five at some point? Or were they just not real contenders for the title? Personally I always fancied them for the number two slot.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

who we're supposed to hate this century

I think it can be summed up as 'furriners'..

3. Loatesy

Brilliant, bloody brilliant!

(Can I use that as a tag line plz?)

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>We killed the son of God

Actually it was a joint effort - the Romans did the actual killing.

Romanes eunt domus!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OT but I have thought for some time that the explanation went more like this:

Pontius Pilate was pretty intelligent. He was also landed with the biggest awkward squad in the Middle East, who had a legend that a Messiah would come and make them top dogs again. The Roman technique had always been to absorb the religions of conquered peoples, but it just wasn't working with the Hebrews.

So when a possible candidate for the job arrived Plan A was invoked:

1. Kill him. (Can't have prophets wandering around stirring things up). Do try to blame it on the Sanhedrin.

2. Send a suitable troupe of actors to remove the body from the sepulchre while acting as angels.

3. Capitalise on anti-Roman sentiment to get support for the Messiah but encourage a new, Roman-friendly version of Judaism. (Saul of Tarsus giving things a pretty heavy nudge on the way.)

4. Defeat Jews in Israel.

This led to

5. Encourage spread of new religion in the Diaspora (your local prefect's view may vary)

5. Make religion official one of Roman Empire, absorbing it into Roman religion as per usual technique.

Job done, only guess what - the remains of the Hebrews are as difficult as ever.

This may be tinfoil hat crackpottery, but as I say Pilate was a clever chap and I wouldn't put such a wheeze past him.

2. jake Silver badge

"Actually it was a joint effort - the Romans did the actual killing."

And even then, the Romans got the wrong guy. Instead of killing Jesus (the self-styled "Son of The Father") and releasing Barabbas ("bar abba" is Aramaic for "son of the father"), they flipped it around and killed Barabbas and released Jesus. It was a simple translation error[0].

Which kind of handily explains why the first guy was seen three days later, and the second guy was never heard from again, no?

[0] Probably done on purpose; remember, Pilate didn't really want to kill Jesus, and Barabbas was a known serial criminal, thug & murderer ... You HAVE read your bible for content, right?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I thought Bannon was the arch-traitor?

Is this him trying to get back I?

At least with Stalin you didn't have to worry about someone coming back when they were purged

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually a very few did, e.g. Rossokovsky.

Bannon more resembles Yeshov, who saw conspiracies everywhere and orchestrated the Great Purge. (The article says he "vanished" in 1938, other sources say he was recalled to Moscow and executed. Pictures including him were doctored to remove him, as with Trotsky.)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Like the village killing the witch-finder as a witch - cut out the middleman

6. batfink

One America News Network

I'm afraid I've never heard of this lot.

Can any of our USAian friends help out with an opinion on the general level of ratbaggery on this channel?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One America News Network

Put it like this - it makes Breitbart look sane.

2. 's water music

You really can't infer that from the context?

3. JohnFen

*shrug*

This American had never heard of it until Trump mentioned it recently in one of his diatribes, so I don't know. Or care.

1. Just An Engineer

Currently only available on systems with access to ~10 percent of cable connected homes, not sure if available via satellite.

But it is a pay channel, and only the most die hard Trumpettes or Breitbart devotees would watch it and they probably can't afford the price.

They are mostly sustained by throwing out the most vile conspiracy theory's they can. But they do have a "reporter" with White House credentials.

>available ~10 percent of cable connected homes

Although presumably a higher percentage of bunkers in the woods ?

2. jake Silver badge

Ths American had never heard of them until just now, and rather hopes that he doesn;t need to hear of them again any time soon. We're not all bat-shit crazy on this side of the pond, you know.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

We're not all bat-shit crazy on this side of the pond

I dunno - you keep persisting in rejecting the loving embrace of the Mother-Country..

(Yes, yes, I know that a goodly proportion are descended from the Spanish/Dutch/Germans/Scandis et. al. but that would spoil the joke.. And, lets face it, that wouldn't be difficult..)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is for people who think Fox News somehow doesn't kiss Trump's ass enough. Hence Trump publicly shilling for them anytime his poor little feelings are hurt by Fox News occasionally calling him out on a particularly egregious lie.

5. martinusher Silver badge

Its a cable/streaming news service that's like a more literate version of Fox Cable News. Fox itself has got so off the wall -- especially with its obsequious Trump coverage -- that it has become a bit of a joke. ONN is looking to take a slice of that lucrative market (and there are very deep pockets to finance it while it gets established).

(Think ONN -> Daily Mail to Fox -> Sun.)(Same s**t, different wrapper.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The day I believe anything that comes from Steve Bannon

is the day I voluntarily section myself for my own, and the public's, safety.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

And is IT Almighty?

How very Engaging of the CCP to Share the Delights of their Ware Houses of Truly Imperial Value.

Quantum Communication Control Systems are Built to Excel to Every Extreme.

One has a great time pondering the simplest of truths shared create Virtually Virgin Spaces of/with Almighty Awesome Power with Limitless Energy.

Nice One, China.. That's a Quantum Leap Lead Long Overdue and Most Welcome to All Following such a Glorious Imperious Path.

What Future Prizes Possess the Less than Truly Worthy is the Fully Tried and Patently Tested DeLight to Server and Savour and Enjoy to Excellence for XAlt Nation to Deliver Services to Savour and Devour. Tell me that aint No Primal Source Force with All in Agreement for Future Joint AIdVenturing for Parallel Planes via AI Sourced Servers with Clear Text Led Evidence is of ITs Pleasures would Almightily Tempt the Satisfactions that Reward and Driver Desire for Adult to Pleasure with a Presence in Future Programming of Virtually Realised Worldly Worded Operations. In Essence an AI ReTerraPhorming Earth Assets for Immaculate Space Use.

That's quite obviously where we're all here at right now, and in the greater scheme of things too, isn't it.:-)

Care to Differ and Dare Share Other JOINT Interesting Ware?

Re: And is IT Almighty?

Did you get a producer credit ?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: And is IT Almighty?

Did you get a producer credit ? ...... Yet Another Anonymous coward

Not yet, as far as I am aware, Yet Another Anonymous coward. Is it worth anything valuable to be banked on for future greater use? Such would be very nice and perfectly acceptable, should anyone ask, and be much appreciated and graciously gratefully received. 'Tis only natural even whenever considered unusual and revolutionary evolutionary, which is quite odd outside of quantum communications fields.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally...

... I like Huaxin (花心) better.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hear that tinkling?

The sound of shattering egos.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Well, if it had any chance of being at least a B-movie spy flick ...

... I'd waste $18 on a ticket for it (yes, that's how much it costs in NYC).

But I'm pretty sure it's not even a B-movie, considering that it's just stupid propaganda material.

So, no thanks, I won't be watching it.

But thanks to Steve Bannon for clarifying why he failed miserably in the past at being a movie producer. This isn't his first attempt. MHGA!!! [1]

-----

[1]. Make Hollywood Great Again.

12. Rol

Hung by their own petard

Seeing as capitalism is trumpeted as being the economic model that ultimately delivers everything at the cheapest cost, by pushing aside the inefficient and wasteful, it is no surprise to find America flinching at the idea China can run the world far cheaper than they can.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hung by their own petard

It is not capitalism that is supposed to create economic efficiency but the free market coupled with strong and equal laws on contract enforcement. A company with shares does not need to be owned and run by a capitalist, it's just the greedy people rapidly work out how to exploit such a system and bend the playing field, e.g. by buying newspapers, judges and politicians.

But if you think the US is a free market I have a load of regulatory capture and government pork to offload on you.

China apparently is also far from a free market, but one of its advantages is simple and obvious: the cost of keeping an American is several times that of keeping a Chinese. If the Chinese car worker toddles off to work on his moped from his small flat, while the American car worker needs to commute an hour each way in his 16ft long car with its 200HP engine from his 2400sq ft house with air conditioning in the suburbs - and then scale that out through an entire economy - it becomes obvious why the US is not very competitive.

Even if the factory is full of robots, the big houses, big cars and big distances don't go away.

1. Rol

Re: Hung by their own petard

Which is why I'd prefer to pay in Chinese Yuan than American Dollars for everything, whether that be a toaster or the toppling of another country's regime.

13. FrenchFries!

Not newsworthy

I read enough USA news -- never came across this until now. Bannon's perpetually drunk and bored, so this "masterpiece" makes perfect sense. I'd bet one of the late show hosts will take this to the air. Betting on Stephen Colbert. The trailer made me shi*t my pants in hilarity.

14. Torchy

Silly me.

Silly me children, I should have seen this coming.

The pantomime season is upon us again.

15. Danny 2

ee cummings on Bannon

ygUDuh

ydoan

yunnuhstan

ydoan o

yunnuhstand dem

yguduh ged

yunnuhstan dem doidee

yguduh ged riduh

ydoan o nudn

LISN bud LISN

dem

gud

am

lidl yelluh bas

tuds weer goin

duhSIVILEYEzum

1. jake Silver badge

Re: ee cummings on Bannon

archy would never have wasted all that energy on caps just to portray an idiot like bannon

c-

must try harder

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huaxin is not fictional

China Huaxin is the Chinese Government's investment vehicle in telecommunications-related tech companies.

http://www.sinohx.com/en/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like