back to article Uncle Sam punishes China for abusing Uyghur Muslims – by blacklisting top AI surveillance companies

The US government has blacklisted 28 Chinese companies, including some of the world’s most valuable AI startups, for being complicit in China’s effort to brutally crack down on its Uyghur Muslim population. The majority of China’s Muslim population live in Xinjiang, a Northwestern region in between Kazakhstan and Mongolia. …

1. prismatics

Meaningless sanctions that encourage the China to wake up even further from its long slumber after the Qing dynasty.

A desperate attempt to distract from much more significant topics at last.

1. el kabong

Meanwhile Jamal Khashoggi's murderers stay free and ready for adventure

No punishment no nothing, trump america just keeps getting better and better.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile Jamal Khashoggi's murderers stay free and ready for adventure

Of course. You don't burn you allies. Well, unless they're Israeli.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Makes you wonder who's really behind these sanctions....

2. Oengus

unless they're Israeli or Kurds.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Or Afghans, or Iraqis, or etc.

The US only consider someone an ally while there's any strategic value in it, afterwards it's goodbye and good luck

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@MiguelC - Re: Meanwhile Jamal Khashoggi's murderers stay free and ready for adventure

I would add another mighty enemy and a mortal danger for USA democracy : Cuba.

2. Vimes

Given their failure to do anything about human rights abuses elsewhere in the world (*cough*Yemen) it's easy to end up with the impression that there are other things at work here.

Are there any US companies competing for the same services that the Chinese companies provide by any chance?

3. Joe W Silver badge

(and Saudi Arabia...)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

blacklisting top AI surveillance companies

I thought top AI surveillance company is amazon, non?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: blacklisting top AI surveillance companies

No, hence it needs the help.

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Black Helicopters

Re: blacklisting top AI surveillance companies

I thought top AI surveillance company is amazon, non?

Nope, that would be Facebook.

5. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Visa clampdown

Is Winne the Pooh on the list? After all, he is ultimately responsible for everything his government and their agencies do.

6. Oengus

Facial recognition.

I note that a lot of these AI companies are used for Facial Recognition. I hope their algorithms are better at recognising non-white males than most of the US based facial recognition systems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facial recognition.

Probably very good with Chinese, not so much with whites. Its all about the training data....

7. Augie
    FAIL

The hypocrisy is palpable.

I presume Saudi Arabia and a few others are going to have the same applied any day now?

No, of course not. Until all countries are held to account to the same standards, then actions like this are meaningless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Until all countries are held to account to the same standards, then actions like this are meaningless."

You're never going to get that level of fairness as it ignores years of diplomacy that it has taken to reach the current mess.

If you look at the Middle East for instance, how would the US/Europe treat the Middle Eastern countries fairly given their differing views towards Western countries?

Saudi Arabia is on the Allies list largely because Iran kicked out the Western-friendly Shah and isolated itself, intensifying the isolation through the war with Iraq and alliance with Russia in the proxy-Cold War between Iraq and Iran.

What you call hypocrisy, I would call pragmatic diplomacy because the alternative would be to get on a high horse and ride into the sunset unless I'm missing an obvious solution to the Sunni vs Shia conflicts (and even that oversimplifies the situation...). And if you have an answer to that, lets move on to Israel and the Kurds assuming Turkey hasn't wiped them out by the time you respond....

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Your right...those bloody Iranians, fighting with Iraq.

And then cosying up with the Russians who were fighting the (soon to be called) taliban in Afghanistan.

Thank goodness the US never went to war with those, otherwise it may look a little suspect.

Next you'll be telling me that the US supported terrorists carrying out attacks against one of it's own allies

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Your right...those bloody Iranians, fighting with Iraq."

My point was that the countries the West has alliances with has been largely driven by a choice between the countries that haven't outright rejected the West and walking away completely.

The rest of your points go on to demonstrate just how complex Middle Eastern diplomacy is. I'm not saying the US actions are right or wrong (as there are examples of both) - I am saying that there is an argument for intervention/alliances with countries that do not meet international conventions for justice/human rights etc as the alternative is often worse.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

intensifying the isolation through the war with Iraq

Which Iraq (well - Saddam) started..

2. Kaufman

The US has the worst human rights record in the world. What happened to Iraq? The US destroyed the whole country executed their leader and destabilized the entire region. Let's not forget the raping and killing of millions of civilians. That makes the US a terrorist state.

8. Nick Kew

Nice timing ...

This story coinciding with your report on the FBI's snooping.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because America will not allow any competion...

Because America will not allow any competion... at being the BEST at oppressing Muslims.

10. Dusty

The Chinese authorities have very good historical reasons for having a downer on what they perceive to be "fringe" Religions/Cults (See also attitude towards Fulan Gong).

Do a quick web search on the "Taiping Rebellion" It was actually one of the bloodiest conflicts in all of human history, It wasn't that long ago, and "Most" people will never have heard of it.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

A lot bigger than the American War of Secession too

Then again, so was the simultaneous Paraguayan War...

11. Mark 85

More inconsistant behavior by the Government.

So we'll "protect" the Uyghur Muslim population via sanctions while tossing the Kurds to the wolves? Seems a bit inconsistent that one group of Muslims gets protection and the group which was actually fighting alongside the US is kicked off the boat.

Oh wait... It's about money not doing what's right. Nevermind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mark 85 - Re: More inconsistant behavior by the Government.

There's a second reason in my opinion. It's close to money but it has more to do with civilized occidental countries horrified by the perspective to grant an equal status to a former third world country.

History shows it is hard to sit at the table with your former slaves.

I recommend reading about Opium Wars as a starting point.

1. Dusty

Re: @Mark 85 - More inconsistant behavior by the Government.

Indeed, the link between Opium, Tea, Hong Kong and indeed what is today HSBC makes interesting reading. I have always felt that there is something Karmic about how many of the designer drugs and cheap fentanyl etc that is flooding western countries and causing so much misery are largely coming from China. :/

2. First Light

Re: More inconsistant behavior by the Government.

I see this effort as coming from right-wing Christians in the US. China is a favorite bogey because of its suppression of Christianity in various forms. It's not about human rights in general but freedom of religion in this specific context.

As we know, consistency in foreign policy is not a hallmark of this administration. It's a moment-to-moment thing, depending on which side of the bed 45 got out of this morning, and how "nice" foreign autocrats are to him, and how much money they will pump into his US and international businesses.

12. Kernel

"“The U.S. Government and Department of Commerce cannot and will not tolerate the brutal suppression of ethnic minorities within China until a permit for a new Trump hotel in China is granted,”

There we go, fixed that for him.

13. Kaufman

The picture shows the Muslims are openly practicing their religion and wearing their traditional clothes. I can confirm that is still the case today as I was just there for two weeks while traveling to China for 3 months. Xinjiang also happens to be an autonomous region where the Uyghur language holds official status. Best to go see for yourself if you're really interested in the truth.

14. S1lver

Why Asian countries are the most tormented? Isn't enough that their leaders torture the population, the other countries do it also.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like