back to article Disgraced ex-Kaspersky guy made me do it, says bloke in Russian court on hacking charges

An accused Russian hacker has claimed Kaspersky's former head of investigations blackmailed him into stealing approximately £150,000 from local banks. Dmitry Popelysh is on trial in Moscow over allegations that he helped pinch more than 12 million roubles from financial institutions including Sberbank and VTB. But he told the …

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

As far as I see,

The Russian justice system must be seen, to be believed.

I worry about several others.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: As far as I see,

That's just a crooked cop - happening everywhere in the world.

Other than that, yes, the Russian courts are not independent at all, the judges are kowtowing to the ruling party and try to pre-empt what Putin and his cadre would like to see in the sentences.

Not unlike in the Soviet Union, anyone can go missing, have evidence fabricated against them or just be shot dead in the streets unless you do what's expected. (the shooters are somehow usually from the ex-soviet states and they'll probably die from internal injuries waiting for the trial)

2. David Shaw

all true, Russia has always been corrupt, currently is corrupt and always will be corrupt!

as this court ruling from The European Court of Human Rights makes clear

... https://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng-press#{%22itemid%22:[%22003-6486375-8551786%22]} .. (choice to d/l 145kb pdf in French or English)

tho' one of my antivirus is/remains Kaspersky, and I was rather surprised by some of the other findings in that ECHR judgement, rather counter-narrative

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"passing details of an FSB [..] investigation to the US FBI"

What ? That's not in the right direction ! No wonder things went wrong.

Normally, information goes from the President of the United Shaesh to Putin and the FSB, not the other way around.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kaspersky blackmailed hacker?

So, we've got Kasperskys reputation trashed and the 'Russia hacked the DNC' meme resurrected. But if Stoyanov was working for the US, wouldn't that mean the FBI was doing the blackmailing. Besides, there isn't even any evidence that anyone hacked Clinton's private email server. Going on the time-stamps, the files would have to have been copied locally and the uploaded in bulk. This 'Russia hacked the election' meme, something concocted out of thin air by the US media to explain how Clinton lost to the Orange One in the US Presidential race.

1. PM.

Re: Kaspersky blackmailed hacker?

Please , don't let the facts ruin useful narrative

2. Mahhn

Re: Kaspersky blackmailed hacker?

Maybe you missed the part that says Ruslan Stoyanov was a "former" employee. So Kaspersky got rid of him prior. If anything, it suggest K did the right thing.

5. Claverhouse Silver badge

Plus Deadly Malware That Infects The Hacker's Computer With Hillary's Speeches

...and said his FSB handler had ordered him to hack the US Democratic National Committee, Hilary Clinton's private email server and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Oddly enough, all three had the same information, and a marijuana leaf symbol.

6. PM.

Nice gentlemen

I believe both od them

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like