back to article .NET Core 3.0 thought it was all ready for release. And it would have been too, if it weren't for those pesky Visual Studio kids

Having promised there wouldn't be any more previews, Microsoft has dropped a release candidate for the upcoming .NET Core 3.0 framework. The emission comes ahead of an expected launch of the platform at next week's .NET Conf in Birmingham. It's a bit of a surprise for developers who had been told that preview 9 would be the …

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Never use .0 of anything

or .1 if is it Microsoft.

Some of the best advise I've ever received. From about 1991.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.Net Continuity of operation and re-use of code, until the next iteration is released and you have to refactor your old program. Again. Or god forbid you get situations where you need multiple versions of .net co-existing within the same system because dependency hell.

I know developing for the now on .net is pretty easy; and it's great for throwaway programs... But it is not a stable platform. The mind boggles at how much stuff expected to last years is coded in it, and inevitably runs into problems.

Not saying any other programming toolkit is much better, but there is something to be said for clean and minimal applications. I still have Fortran code from the 70's in a production environment, and I can always get it to run.

Whereas, .Net from 10 years ago, good luck even getting a working op system installed to take it unless you've filed away the relevant os patches in the right order.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bollocks

Great big hairy ones.

I've got substantial programs from 2006 that are still running to this day. I've got similarly aged ones that have been dragged through every .NET version from 2.0 to 4.8 and are still chugging along.

Hell I've got programs written for XP in .NET 2.0 that are happily running on Windows 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bollocks

User experience may vary. Versus an uncontrollable backdrop of corporate IT dropping patches at will I've had the opposite experience of what you describe.

3. getHandle

"(now distant) past..."

Hahaha, pull the other one, it's got bells on it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like