back to article Enterprise Java spec packs bags, ready for new life under assumed name – Jakarta

Enterprise Java, known as Java Enterprise Edition 8 (Java EE 8) under Oracle's implementation of the platform specification, has finally packed up and moved out of Big Red's basement under a new name, so it won't bear the burden of its heritage. On Tuesday, the Jakarta EE 8 Full Platform is scheduled to debut under the …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Typical of Oracle

To name this after a city that is sinking fast[1]. Just like Java as a language then?

[1] It is going under water due to its location and sea level rise so the Indonesians are going to move their capital to somewhere else on the island.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Maybe the name was badly chosen, but with over 10 million developers in the world, it doesn't look like Java is going to sink any time soon.

1. NeilPost Bronze badge

Bali

They should have called it Bali.... though that suffers from an active volcano on the Island, chronic traffic problems (scooters) and small Japanese cats/minivans/minibuses/SUV’s and adjacency to earthquake zones (as does much of Indonesia).

2. Erik4872

Re: Typical of Oracle

"Just like Java as a language then?"

Not sure that's accurate...The 2000s were a very busy time for J2EE developers, and it's used in a lot of CS programs as a first object-oriented language. Maybe open-sourcing and getting it out from under Oracle's control somewhat will help, but very few people are voluntarily using anything even slightly connected with Oracle anymore. You sure don't see too many new Solaris deployments anymore.

That said, Java EE is going to be like COBOL. Lots of mission-critical, back-end code that companies are scared to touch, running millions of dollars' worth of business.

1. eldakka Silver badge

Java is still used a lot in Enterprises.

There are many new products coming out (for online services) that are being developed in Java.

It's the Oracle JVM that many people are steering away from, using other JVM engines (OpenJDK, OpenJ9, etc.) is an active and vibrant ecosystem.

3. tygrus.au

Jakarta, the city, is sinking under it's own weight and lack of firm foundations. See level rise is minor, the MSL of 1900 would result in the same problem just a few years later.

2. Dave Pickles
    Coat

Jakarta?

No - she went of her own accord.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Witless Protection Program

"Who am I?" the curly-brace programming language asked, blinking blankly as it came out of a stupor.

"You're in the Witless Protection Program," the Open Source Deputy replied. "Just stick to the new name and new identity and you'll be safe from the copyright mafia."

"Where am I?" the curly-brace programming language added.

"You're cut off by vast oceans of copyright infringement protections, riding on a prominent upthrust in the great open-source archipelago," the Open Source Deputy said. "You're safe here. You have many friends. This is your new name."

The Open Source Deputy handed the curly-brace programming language a badge with its new name on it.

"I'm not a city, I'm a nation," the curly-braced programming language protested. "I used to be something."

"And you still are," the Open Source Deputy said, trying to comfort the new Witless. "You just can't tell anyone."

"I need some black coffee," the curly-brace programming language said.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Witless Protection Program Forks

:-) Make it a double espresso, AC.

Guess who just got back today

Them wild-eyed boys that had been away

Haven't changed that much to say

But man, I still think them cats are crazy ...... https://youtu.be/hQo1HIcSVtg

Is it yet realised AI rules IT ..... both Sublimely and Supremely?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if it would be more likely that Disney would license the name Jawa or Jabba vs. getting Oracle to do basically anything at all.

5. Blackjack

What's the purpose of Java anyway?

Is slow, to the point any program made in Java runs faster when exported to another language. Look at Minecraft; the Windows 10 version doesn't run on Java and it shows.

Is propietary, meaning you are at the mercy of Oracle.

Is not easy to code and or learn.

So, why do people use Java?

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: What's the purpose of Java anyway?

Don't mix up Java and Java EE. Java is a language, some standard classes, and a VM specification. Except for a few tasks where bulk structure allocation is needed, it can run at least as fast as C++. (I have coded similar systems in C++ and Java simultaneously)

Java EE is an enormous collection of frameworks designed to replace boring boilerplate coding with billions of lines of XML, YAML, magical annotations, class field inspection, strict design pattern implementations, component implementations, service workers, message handlers, delegates, RPC adapters, class re-writers, and all the bug workarounds needed for them. These frameworks don't always do exactly what you need so EE apps tend to be heavily de-optimized beyond the EE overhead itself.

2. eldakka Silver badge

Re: What's the purpose of Java anyway?

Serverside Java isn't slow.

With JIT, object-reuse, connection re-use (connection pooling etc.), JIT cacheing (i.e. the results of JIT are cached so you don't have even have to JIT it the second and subsequent times around).

Sure, if you use it to run transient tasks, that is you start up a JVM, run a few commands/tasks, then tear the JVM down, like you tend to do on a desktop, then yes, it is slow.

But when you start up a long-running JVMs - basically a daemon process - to service requests as they come in, it can be as fast - if not faster - than something written in C++ etc.

This doesn't mean that badly written Java can't be a dog, it usually is, but that is true of any programming language.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020