back to article What a bunch of DoSers: Wikipedia says it was walloped by 'bad faith' actors over weekend

Wikimedia has fingered a massive distributed-denial-of-service attack for outages at Wikipedia across Europe over the weekend. The encyclopedia's publisher said the attack hit its sites in several countries making them intermittently inaccessible. At the time of writing, the UK and main European language versions were working …

1. Semtex451

What's the point?

Isn't it a bit like boasting that you beat up your gran?

Or is that cool too now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the point?

I've always pegged DoS as the intellectual equivalent of taking a dump in someone's swimming pool. DDoS being the equivalent of inviting a bunch of friends to do the same.

2. Killfalcon Silver badge

Re: What's the point?

You DDOS someone like Wikipedia to establish that you can DDoS one of the largest sites on the internet.

Then you hit some regional retail site or the dispatch for a logistics company or whatever - someone who relies on their website for income 24/7 - and demand a ransom, saying "We kept Wikipedia down, we can keep you down as long as we like".

It's extortion, basically.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Distributed Denial-of-service attack

What does Wikipedia have to say, oh wait.

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Skiddies gonna skid...

hopefully into the back of a waiting police van...

in full Benny Hill style...

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

No matter how long I live

I will never be able to understand these characters.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge
    FAIL

What a bunch of losers. DDOS a none profit encyclopedia website.

6. Sir Loin Of Beef

AH, so that's why my daughter couldn't reach the site.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Headmaster

Yeah, a lot of homework around the world probably didn't get.

Please Sir, the DDoS ate my homework.

7. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Fundamentally flawed model

Somewhere in high school, we used to teach that vox populli was NOT an acceptable source of truth. Even ignoring "bad faith actors", it cannot be trusted outside the hard sciences or mathematics.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Fundamentally flawed model

So that's why you DDOSed it ?

I was hard against Wikipedia a few years ago, because I do not agree with 'truth by consensus' either.

But I have to admit that a serious sweeping has taken place, and the articles I am interested in (space and science, essentially) are generally up to par now.

Not that I'm trusting them blindly, though, but Wikipedia has gotten better.

1. rcxb Silver badge

and the articles I am interested in (space and science, essentially) are generally up to par now.

Check out Fractal_Antennas ... There's been a decade-long concerted effort by Nathan Cohen and his company (Fractal Antenna Systems) to pervert the article to hide any negative information on the technology or the company, take full credit for the invention, and hide all references to their big European competitor Fractus and their credible claim to its invention. Reports to admins have accomplished nothing. GeoIP the addresses of anonymous editors, and you'll find they almost all come from the city his company originates from. Some of that is on the Talk page, but you really have to look through years of edit history.

When you have one dedicated and interested editor on any but the highest profile articles, you can subvert it to say anything you want. Without a substantial policy change, Wikipedia is doomed.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Check out Fractal_Antennas ...

Cheers for that. Fulfilled my quota of learning something new every day. Which didn't really apply to the talk page because that, sadly seemed to be the usual edit warring. I did like this comment though.

The point is simply that slapping a fractal pattern down as an antenna does not mean a good design will result

But it may please marketing. May not be the most efficient, but I've always thought microwave circuit design is where art, science and engineering collide. Or just give old circuit layout tools a real work-out. The article does highlight a common problem with wiki though, ie active editors acting as biased gatekeepers (<cough>Billy Connolly<cough>). In the real world, solution would seem simple, ie an antenna shootout with fractal vs non-fractal, but would still leave the patent question. And possibly some government interests, even occasionally declassifying stuff showing the MiB invented it first..

1. Conundrum1885

Interesting. I encountered such a design on a router the other day.

In this case it works but the performance sucks because the manufacturers cheaped out and did not populate the "AUX" instead using blinkenlights on the special 10 way connector.

Might explain why the thing kept running scorchio and frequently locked up requiring reboot.

I did find that the manufacturers had used rubbish capacitors, replacing them all did help and meter say NYET! <19uF on a 100uF unit and 107 on the 220uF.

Sadly it also looks like there are problems with the regulator as it still runs hot, perhaps I can recase it and add some sort of automated reset circuit.

Seems that line noise sends these right to Grethor and no amount of firmware will fix this.

Using chip antenna from an old Wifi or Bluetooth headset will work though it can sometimes cause problems.

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Dude? DDOS is a crime. I don't do that. Where did I suggest that I did?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

That was meant as a joke. I'm pretty sure of that. You posted a comment critical of the site, so someone joked that your complaints against it were felt so strongly that you wanted to take it down. Nobody here really thinks you took it down or want to do so.

3. doublelayer Silver badge

Wikipedia isn't and never will be perfect. What makes it easy to update also makes it easy to vandalize. But it is a pretty good source of background on a lot of things. Something where people are trying to advertise or where everyone disagrees and thinks Wikipedia is a good battleground excepted, but in reality that's not a lot of the pages there. If I want a simple fact, or if I want a quick overview of something, Wikipedia is a good source for that. It's kind of like an agglomeration of the dictionaries, encyclopedias, almanacs, and other assorted reference books of the past. It contains a little information about a lot of things. When more information is desired, it's time to bring out my researching skills I was taught, including my ability to spot misleading data, but many requests for information are not that serious, and I'm glad we have a resource capable of handling most of them.

2. Adrian 4

You prefer to get your information from somewhere that's owned and paid for by who-knows-who ?

Sure, Wikipedia can be gamed. So can proprietary media, especially in the realm of politics.

Trust no-one !

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. Fundamentally flawed model

Citation needed.

Also this is about as low as DDoSing Raspbian.

Some sphincter also did Blizzard yesterday. All I can say is I hope they get what they deserve.

Is black bagging acceptable these days? How about rubber hose cryptanalysis?

9. Mike007 Bronze badge

You will never be able to stop the attacks, because their DDoS as a service platform is protected by Cloudflare... If you want to be safe from those people, you need to get your protection from Cloudflare as well.

I think that's how things work these days, right?

</sarcasm>

(To be clear, I am a great supporter of many of the things Cloudflare has done.. But it is well known that a significant number of the DDoS as a service websites are only able to function because Cloudflare is willing to protect them against their rivals - and making it easier to buy a DDoS attack doesn't exactly hurt Cloudflare's business model...)

10. steviebuk Silver badge

No.........

....just no, it's the only game you can get away with at work "Wikiraces" then claim you're "Doing research".

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That wasn't a DDoS, it was millions of people trying to dismiss the begging banner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon