back to article Opal Fruits, Princess Diana and... PowerToys? Microsoft is dragging Windows 10 back to '95

With a nostalgic twinkle in its corporate eye, Microsoft has emitted a Windows 10 version of its venerable PowerToys suite. However, those expecting something akin to the potential horrors lurking within the original will be disappointed. As promised back in May, the first two utilities in the preview consist of a window …

1. katrinab Silver badge
    Linux

"a shortcut to kill a running process"

Would the perhaps be Ctrl-Alt-Esc

And pressing that key combination turns the mouse pointer into a skull & cross bones

Better late than never I suppose

2. RyokuMas
    Trollface

Back to 95?

"Microsoft is dragging Windows 10 back to '95"

Come on guys, all you need to do is pull out all the telemetry (and maybe Cortana), make update installation completely optional and maybe give the start menu a bit of a spring clean* and I'll be happy - you don't have to go that far...

... yeah, we can dream.

* ... oh, and possibly allow a 3D skuomorphic theme, if only to reduce the number of whinging comments in caps we have to put up with on here...

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Re: Back to 95?

First thing I do with a win10 install... set it to a metered connection to stop forced auto updates and run OOSU10 to cripple the telemetry (which needs to be redone after each update to make sure they've not switched stuff back on).

1. Dave K

You can export your OOSU10 settings to a cfg file, then set up a scheduled task that runs at every login and silently re-applies the settings. Great for making sure MS doesn't sneakily undo anything. Updating your settings just requires running the GUI, tweaking things then saving a new copy of the config.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

set it to a metered connection to stop forced auto updates

In my experience, you have to do this for every wireless network you connect to, which is rather a hassle. Presumably could be automated pretty easily with Powershell or similar, though.

Also, for domain users there's a Group Policy setting which forces updates even on metered connections. You'd have to be a real BOFH to use it, but I'm sure that doesn't stop many domain admins from turning it on.

2. Generic_Killer_Robot

Come on guys, all you need to do is pull out all the telemetry (and maybe Cortana), make update installation completely optional and maybe give the start menu a bit of a spring clean*

This can be achieved by simply deleting System32

3. Shadow Systems

I miss TweakUI...

That program was so bloody useful I made it part of my Nuke&PaveHelper roster of programs to install first thing so I could bludgeon a fresh system into line before it ever got any ideas that it might not let me use *my* computer the way *I* wanted to.

I wonder what Win10 would be like if TweakUI were able to defang, neuter, & euthanize parts of the OS to fuckin' behave like the user required?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I miss TweakUI...

Oooh.. I'd forgotten about TweakUI. Very useful thing that was.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Windows

One of my old co-workers was a Windows/Microsoft fiend, and he loved TweakUI, but he always called it TweakUTI. I never thought to suggest that perhaps he should see a urologist.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

He'd have known you were taking the piss..

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I seem to recall PowerToys including some sort of game with a name like Hovercraft....can't see any mention of it on the Wikipedia page for PowerToys though - I wonder if I'm thinking of something else.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

It was Hover!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hover!

Hover! was a video game that was included on CD-ROM versions of the Microsoft Windows 95 operating system. It was a showcase for the advanced multimedia capabilities available on personal computers at the time. It will run on all of Microsoft's 95-compatible operating systems, from Windows 95, up to and including Windows 7 and 8. Additionally, Hover! will run in WINE on Unix-like systems.

There was a web browser port that worked on Internet Explorer 11 once, but the site is down. It also used to have a Windows 8 app but the App is gone.

2. Piro Silver badge

Hover came on the Windows 95 disc. I remember it being fascinating.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

I played it but Space Pinball definitely was my ultimate free Windows game timewaster.

5. jamesdanielkirk

I miss

TweakUI and the abilty to stop new windows from steal focus

6. alegr

Just give us back Windows 7 visual style instead of this OpenWin-inspired squareness.

1. Piro Silver badge

Yes please. Windows 7 still looks better than Windows 10, Windows 10's design really has no character at all.

7. Teiwaz

realising that FancyZones doesn't really like multi-monitor setups.

To be fair, most desktops don't cope well with them.

I've yet to find Desktop or window manager that gets it completely right.

Closest how I like it is i3 - let down mostly by Xorg limitations and out of date ui Freedesktop concepts.

1. arctic_haze

To be fair, most desktops don't cope well with them.

Have you tried Linux ones?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Have you tried Linux ones?

Teiwaz specifically mentioned i3. I suppose he (or she) could be running that on BSD...

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

KDE manages well enough. You can even set separate backgrounds for each screen.

OSX I must also begrudge some competence here. Multi-monitor is fairly well handled, though you can't hang a window across two screens.

8. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Microsft can't do anything right

They still haven't figured out how to have a desktop background stretch across multiple monitors... all they can manage is replicating the same image on each screen... Let alone have a different image on each screen.

I know there are other bits of software that can do it... But I really don't want to add extra background processes for something so simple.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Re: Microsft can't do anything right

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

To be exact: http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/dualwallpaper.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsft can't do anything right

Pretty sure Windows 10 now has a SPAN option along with the usual fit, fill, stretch, tile and center options for wallpaper. Also if you have different photos in one directory, you can CTRL click as many images as you have monitors and Windows will set a different pic on each screen.

9. Milton

Browser window sizing, pleeease

I may be pleasantly surprised by someone showing an easy way to do this that's been around for years, but ... I use many profiles in Vivaldi (Chrome engine, without the spying) for different clients' work, spread over three large screens, and would love to be able to specifiy the coordinates and sizes of each profiled browser session so that it would snap straight to the right location and dimensions when I fired it up.

Make my day, anyone ...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Browser window sizing, pleeease

Not used it for that, exactly, but Winsize2 allows you to define window position and size based on the title bar text and other criteria. If you have a particular tab title for each client, you could define a window position and size and then use that to position each window.

It's a bit old, but still works fine on Win10: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winsize2/

10. Alister

Command Prompt Here

I think it was part of TweakUI, and was very useful for developing windows services or dlls when you had to manually register them.

11. HumorousName

Command Prompt Here

saved me hours

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like