back to article Microsoft's cloudy Windows Virtual Desktop: It fills a gap, but there are plenty of annoyances

Microsoft's Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD), an Azure-hosted VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure), plugs an obvious gap in the company's cloud offerings, but comes with its fair share of annoyances too, many of which came up in a recent Ask Me Anything laid on by the team. WVD went into public preview in March, six months after …

1. Not also known as SC

Incomplete Software

"a technology called media offload, which will improve performance, will not be in the initial release but will be a "fast-follow" feature, said the team."

So this is basically saying the product being released is incomplete? How do software companies get away with this?

1. Greyeye

Re: Incomplete Software

one word "agile"

2. simonlb Silver badge

Because Microsoft is a marketing company which also occasionally dabbles in software, which is currently not a priority.

3. TheVogon

Now at least there is a supported way of running Windows VDI on Azure with Office 365 / 2019 without having to pay for a VM for each user.

Not to mention that Onedrive caching works too unlike on Windows Server / RDS.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

Typical Microsoft

So, to use WVD you need AD Connect, site-to-site VPN and a DC on Azure. Oh, and Powershell.

As usual, Microsoft has an idea and throws everything and the kitchen sink at it. It's a wonder it gets anything working at all. It's difficult to add users ? Ain't that too bad for a product that is destined to be used by many people. And everything being managed from the States, that's gonna been fun to watch given GDPR.

Microsoft : Keeping Life Complicated.

Oh well, consultants and freelancers have to be able to work, so, thanks for opportunity, I guess ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the cloud

Wherein lies Cuckoo Land

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this where X-Server steps in (for Linux) ?

I have been using X11 over SSH on my home machines (not even proper "server" versions of Linux) for years, and it delivers me a remote virtual desktop (that allows multimedia) without any palaver.

Can't help but feel someone is reinventing the wheel here ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this where X-Server steps in (for Linux) ?

Spot on. From memory, there was a very early suggestion that MS Windows sit on top of the X11 layer, but it either got mired in licensing, or MS decided it wanted to own the protocol.

2. Greyeye

X11 is never optimised for over the WAN or remote access, RDP have evolved a long way that even on narrow and high latency will work resonably well (I have deployed RDP to users on 200-1000ms latency)

Device redirection (local drive, printers, sound) also not in X11.

if you want to compare X11... why not VNC, Teamviewer, Logmein, etc etc

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Upvoted, but noting that X11 could have been developed much further which would have meant the alternatives you list may not have been needed.

Big fan of NoMachine, myself.

2. JohnFen

"if you want to compare X11... why not VNC, Teamviewer"

Of course, comparing X11 to VNC, etc., is still apples and oranges since X11 can serve up multiple independent desktops rather than sharing an existing one.

This is, for me, the "killer app" of X11.

3. david 12 Silver badge

I have been using Remote Desktop on my home machines (not even proper 'server' versions of Windows) for years, and it delivers me a remote virtual desktop (that allows multimedia*) without any palaver.

Can't help but feel that someone is trolling here.

*multimedia in the ordinary sense of the word. I take the point that video streaming wasn't directly supported by Windows RDC, but my use of other platforms for video streaming from my home computers was exactly in proportion to my need to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't help but feel that someone is trolling here.

I *think* the point was that various Skpe-y type videoconferencing suites are thus supported. So you could deliver a virtual desktop via X11 for use in a corporate environment.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Can't help but feel someone is reinventing the wheel here ?"

Nope. X11 works indeed well if you're doing basic stuff (SSH etc ...), but good luck to you the day you're using a CAD software to do designs ! This is where most VDIs are useful.

5. 404

No.

After what I've been through the past week recovering a HyperV host with four VM's that ran entire company, no redundancy, no proper backups... - all virtual bullshit can go fuck right off... I did get them running and the 50 employees are back to work, but the VM's are going away, soon. Fuck that shit - give me hardware or give me death...

1. 4whatitsworth

Re: No.

I may have missed something here, and im sure your experience was awful....but.

How is a single point of failure host, no redundancy and no backups the fault of virtualisation? Thats just incredibly bad management /design etc.

1. 404

Damn straight it was bad management AND design - I disagreed with it when they had a network architect design the system and they pushed me out of the project to complete it - THEN they call me in three years later to fix the damn thing when it died.

What happened here was the vendor designed it top to bottom with unnecessary complexity (VM's), isn't backwards compatible with their own software, no DR, no backups. And I had to fix it and now have to redesign it so they can cut a piece of wood without a server being up... No shit - they couldn't cut wood without the server being operational.

Yeah, it was like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I sympathise with what you've been through, I've been there myself. But isn't the problem 'no redundancy, no proper backups', which you'd still need using hardware? Using virtual or cloud doesn't mean you never have to worry about DR.

1. whitepines

Using virtual or cloud doesn't mean you never have to worry about DR.

Bollocks.

All virtual/cloud does is change the DR planning and service contracts you need to have in place. Or are you seriously recommending a design to your client that is irrecoverably vulnerable to a single external vendor oops (deletion, ban, outage, etc.)? Saying "SLA!" here just says your DR plan is lawyers...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Did you miss the double negative there? "Doesn't mean you never" is the same as "means you sometimes have to", and how important your stuff is defines whether "sometimes" applies to you or not

1. whitepines
            Pint

Yes I did. Guess I need to lay off this before commenting next time ---->

I'll wander off red-faced now...

3. LateAgain

Personally I'd rather use free esxi for a single VM than go back to actually running any windows server on actual hardware.

4. TheVogon

4 servers = 4 single points of failure. A Hyper-V cluster is fault tolerant.

6. no1

The previous Azure RemoteApp that was discontinued was great - it had a full UI in the portal and it didn't require to be linked to a full AD server.

I also don't understand why they're still basing everything on VMs which is such a slow and clunky solution. Surely containers would be a much better solution. There's no technical reason why RDP couldn't work in a container - the only thing holding them back is internal politics and licensing concerns.

7. stucco

Add-ons are key

To get the BEST functionality from WVD look at adding Citrix on top. Fixes provisioning, performance, operating systems, etc. BUT, microsoft is requiring the management plane for WVD to be hosted from Azure only. It's why you can't use on-premise or existing delivery controllers to host it. (It is a software block, not a functionality block) It's also why VMWare is making a horizon management plane in Azure as well.

So it's like the old RDS on-premise. It is ok performance, but work with a partner to get all the good features.

8. TheGriz

Cloud, Ha!

From Microsoft: Let us virtualize your PCs and put them in our cloud, along with your data we already have. That way when our cloud falls down and goes boom, not only will you not be able to access your crucial files, you won't have a PC at all, so then not having access to your files won't seem so bad.

95% of "joe users" in the public realm, see "the Cloud" referenced EVERYWHERE these days, and they think it's something akin to "magic", because they don't know that all it means is that you're entrusting your data to someone else, and it's still just your data on a different server farm that oh you don't control any more like the old days and you are putting all your eggs in one basket. God forbid that basket falls down, now all your eggs get broken, and your business is simply banking on the fact that "these guys are the real experts, therefore they can't possibly screw up our "shiznit".

Yeah good luck with that.

Oh and one last note: Yeah it's FREE if you are already using O365 licenses, so no matter how many virtual PCs you need it won't cost you a dime. That is until Microsoft tricks you into putting everything in their hands and then when they have you by the short curlys, you get that "notice" of the upcoming change to our licensing and now every virtual PC will cost you X amount for one year of support, and you'll have to renew them all on a yearly basis, and funnel even more money from your institution into our institution, so we can keep inventing new ways to funnel more of your money away from you. Isn't that GREAT!

9. thondwe

Free to M365 Users? Not exactly!

It's not free to M365 licence holders, it's just they have the correct licences, you still pay for the compute part per hour...

Presume if you don't have the correct licences MS will happily sell you some...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like