back to article Got a burning desire for a Hololens 2.0? Microsoft insists its math coprocessor won't be too hot for headgear

Now your humble Reg vulture is back from the Hot Chips conference in Silicon Valley, it seems right to briefly run this Microsoft development by you all. During the symposium, the Windows 10 giant teased a few new details about its custom math coprocessor inside its Hololens 2.0 augmented reality headsets. This silicon takes …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"125Mbit of SRAM"

Well one thing is sure, that thing is not running Windows in any way, shape or form.

I'm guessing some variety of Linux, it's the only thing that could work in such a space. Anyone know more ? I've tried finding out, but I didn't get anything other than gushing articles about how good it is, and lighter it is (by a few grams), and how it connects to Azure all by itself.

Oh yeah, that last bit - makes it off my buyers list.

1. Tatsky

Re: "125Mbit of SRAM"

The article states that "It runs a Microsoft-specific real-time operating system". So I took that to mean Microsoft have written, or had written, a real time OS specifically for this device.

Assumption is an evil mistress though.

1. Captain Scarlet
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: "125Mbit of SRAM"

:O Windows CE is making a return!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, I like it. Automatic MS branding.

All they have to do is to make the heatsink say "MS" and point it inwards at the forehead of the wearers and there will be loads of fans who will flock to it, just to get the brand on their heads.

It may even lead to a whole slew of pirate brand irons where you can get that stamp on your head without needing the Hololens, so that will give the Microsoft lawyers something to do as well. I'm thinking Peltier elements here, but the proper 300W versions, not the puny ones they keep putting in those one-can-of-coke mini fridges.

The rest of us will then know who to avoid. I call this a win-win scenario.

3. GrumpenKraut
    Pint

Is it just me or...

does "can handle 1.7 times more compute than the previous generation" sound bad to a native speaker as well?

Anyway, it's Friday, so we'll have to perform more drink than usual.

1. RM Mynez-Arslash

Re: Is it just me or...

Sadly that one is an all-too-common example of today's fashion of mixing the use of verbs and nouns.

Trying to make people stop is a big ask.

(https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1993/01/25)

4. Alister

Got a burning desire

I think my dyslexia is particularly bad this morning, I first read the headline as

Goat burning desire for a Hololens.

5. Zack Mollusc

It runs a Microsoft-specific real-time operating system.

Neat! Sign me up immediately! A winner if ever I heard one.

6. Avatar of They
    Angel

If only.

If they have a windows OS variant that runs on 125Mbit SRAM. It means they have the technical skill to make a small foot print working version of their software (granted to a specific aim.)

So surely they can release a slightly larger version instead of the monstrous bloat filled nightmarish installs we get with windows? I would love access to a small piece of MS software for the OS. They could ship that on note books. And the user can then choose if they really want candy crush as default, and all the other crud they pile onto it.

Release it as a M$ Linux distro. With hooks into the windows store and their hotfix downloads etc. But without the telemetry.

Icon - I can only dream.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like