back to article KNOB turns up the heat on Bluetooth encryption, hotels leak guest info, city hands $1m to crook, and much, much more

Let's run through all the bits and bytes of security news beyond what we've already covered. Also, don't forget our articles from this year's Black Hat, DEF CON, and BSides Las Vegas conferences in the American desert. KNOB opens door to Bluetooth snooping: Microsoft's Patch Tuesday dump included the disclosure of a security …

1. Alister
    Thumb Up

Knob

and even though we've thought long and hard about making jokes about this, sadly, we've come up with nothing.

Class!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Knob

I'm sure they'll have some stiff competition from the commentards here...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Knob

Well I sent them an email 12+ hours ago saying the hook should be "KNOB: These go to one" in respect to the flaw allowing turning down to only one byte of entropy. This 'tard was not tardy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CMU CERT explained the method using the "Alice and Bob" key analogy:

Alice and Bob are getting it together, then Charlie turns up with his KNOB and things get interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So he's knob blocking Bob?

2. jelabarre59

At least they used the correct "Triang Relations" example names from TVTropes for "A,B & C".

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Triang" ???

Picture a (model) train going into a tunnel

3. phuzz Silver badge

Hur hur hur

You said knob, hur hur hur.

1. zb

Re: Hur hur hur

BUM!!

4. phuzz Silver badge

But I do have a sensible point. I've been trying to work out, is this attack only possible when two Bluetooth devices are paired for the first time, or is it something that can be done every time they reconnect?

There's a lot less scope for attacks if it's only possible when you first pair.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Every time they reconnect, according to the report.

5. spold Silver badge

Needs a security protocol

Should be addressed with Security Protocol for UR Things (SPURT). IT security can handle SPURTed KNOBs. SPURT your KNOB now!

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Needs a security protocol

Would that be under the Common Utility Model?

6. Commswonk

"Spec design flaw stiffs security of gizmos"

Breaking News...

Bear found shitting in wood; full report follows

7. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Facepalm

Timely

"some 700,000 Choice hotel guest records were left in a MongoDB instance exposed to the public internet"

Which reminds me I really ought to move my pile of gold bars out of the garden shed to somewhere more secure. But having them piled-up in the shed is such an easier, more convenient, option.

Maybe I should think about fitting a padlock? Perhaps I could ask a neighbour to look after them?

Decisions, decisions.

1. Alister

Re: Timely

Make sure you stack them all next to the window, so everyone can admire them...

1. batfink

Re: Timely

Use them as doorstops. Everyone will think they're fakes.

8. Claptrap314 Silver badge

NULL

Is a real-life Bobby Tables? Interesting. New game: figure out a plate that doesn't autotarget.

1. MadonnaC

Re: NULL

How about:

NO PLATE

NONE

<blank> (I wonder if that's actually possible?)

2. Frank Bitterlich
      Pirate

That's what I thought too. Really, somebody must have tried to register a plate with drop all tables;.

Or at least try CURRENT_DATE, that way you will probably never get tickets – or they disapper after a day...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I don't think any state allows semicolons or hyphens1 or underscores in vanity license plate strings.

"NO PLATE" was investigated by David "Snopes" Mikkelson 20 years ago. It has the same problem as "NULL": more citations, not fewer. Indeed, it's rather sad that we're seeing yet another iteration of this same story after two decades.

The real story with the NULL plate fiasco, I think, is that various California jurisdictions (and I'm sure many others elsewhere) are using an incompetent private contractor to administer parking fines, and no one at any level of government gives a damn if the wrong people are fined. It's a profit center and there's no incentive to hold anyone responsible.

1A pair of hyphens is also used for Little Bobby Tables, and in general with SQL injection, to comment out the remainder of the target statement.

9. sanmigueelbeer

Bluetooth-controlled sex toys: Turn up the KNOB a bit

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

KNOB END

A system with exposed KNOB vulnerability, that is now patched.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watch your spelling!!

Please search the dictionary for the difference between "pouring" and "poring"

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Watch your spelling!!

Please search the dictionary for the difference between "pouring" and "poring"

I suspect your comment needs to be directed towards whoever transcribed the words of Saskatoon city manager Jeff Jorgenson in the original press release, rather than the fine upstanding staff of The Register.

If you want to be picky about El Reg, you could ask that they put a [sic] after 'pouring'.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NOB!

Nob - insult, shortened from "nobility" : "Oh look, the nobs are here". Generally morphed to mean "somone who is a bit of a dick"

Knob - Door handle thing that looks nothing like a penis.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/nob#h70291880997140

1. MJB7
      Headmaster

Re: NOB!

If you follow the link, you will see that "nob" is not actually documented as an insult there. On the other hand, if you change the word to "knob", you will find:

3 (vulgar slang) A man's penis.

1. NATTtrash
        Devil

1.3 A small lump of a substance.

Correct for some of the gentlemen I remember...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Knob - Door handle thing"

In this case one that opens the back door.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like