back to article Talk about keeping it in the family: Dell-owned Pivotal shares rocket after Dell-owned VMware mulls gobbling it up

Dell-owned VMware is in talks to acquire Dell-owned Pivotal Software, the hypervisor giant announced Wednesday. In a filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC, the boards of directors of VMware and Pivotal said they "are proceeding to negotiate definitive agreements with respect to a transaction to acquire all of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe I'm miss remembering

But wasn't Pivotal originally owned and spun out of VMWare some years back? (Or that might have been Spring)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe I'm miss remembering

Pivotal was formed from assets from EMC and VMware.

Spring, CloudFoundry, Gemfire (VMware vFabric GemFire) came from VMware

Greenplum was from EMC as was Pivotal Labs. They had their own Hadoop distro as well before converting to Hortonworks.

Paul Maritz acted as head of strategy for Joe Tucci (EMC) to form the plan and identify the assets to form Pivotal.

I was quite involved with them at their launch...

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Maybe I'm miss remembering

According to the third paragraph of the article you're commenting on, yes it was.

2. Big_Boomer Silver badge

If I were the authorities I would be carefully scrutinising anybody making profits from the changes in share prices as this smacks of price manipulation to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like