back to article Just one in five UK constituencies receive 4G from all four mobile operators – research

Only 20 per cent of UK parliamentary constituencies receive full 4G coverage from all four mobile operators, according to research by consumer charity Which? An analysis of 650 areas found the worst affected spots were rural Scotland and Wales. The most poorly served city-based constituencies were Rochford and Southend East …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixing a hole....

Don't worry folks, they'll fix 4g coverage holes with 5G, and then they'll fix 5G holes with 6G. Just like they fixed 3G holes with 4G.

The network operators are working in YOUR best interests aren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fixing a hole....

If one in five get 4g then that means everyone will get 5g as 1 + 4 = 5. I really don't get how this is complicated? I also program in Javascript.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fixing a hole....

I was at a meeting with Michael Gove where 5G was touted as the fix for 4G coverage by the usual wonks.

Then somone with a clue challanged them...they were spooked...Gove seemed blissfully ignorant..same s**t minister now responsible for No deal brexit planning...we're f**ked.

2. nematoad

80%?

I should be so lucky.

I can't speak for the rest of the constituency but where I am we have one, count them, one mobile operator we can use. That's EE and it is not my favourite but you have to work with what you get.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We can get them all...

Provided you go outside, climb a tree and wait for the wind to blow in the right direction.

If you don't want to do that on a cold, wet evening, then we get none.

3. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Coat

I'm only surprised BoJo hasn't promised 127% coverage before the end of the year

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The extra 27% will be moved to GDP to avoid a recession.

4. Commswonk

Does Not Compute, Captain

From the article: EE has the most coverage, currently at 90 per cent, with plans to increase that to 95 per cent by 2020.

How do EE square that with having to provide coverage for the ESN? 95% simply isn't good enough.

Having said that with Airwave having been extended to 202X I suppose there might just be an outside chance that they will achieve 100% by that time.

Where's the Flying Pig Icon...

5. Tempest
    Happy

Developing Countries Have Better Coverage Than The UK

VietNam has great coverage from Viettel - the system owned by the Interior Security Ministry (Ministry of Defence) - and supports 63 million subscribers!

I have a summer house in KonTum Province hard up against the Laos border and my 4G data rate is around 20 Mbytes (up to 1 gig in larger centres).The Viettel (only) 4G coverage map can be seen at https://www.nperf.com/en/map/VN/-/21932.Vinaphone/signal/. The cost is 300.000 Dong (USD$15) for 24GB of data, prepaid.

Where 4G is unavailable in the mountains and sparsely populated areas there is 3G automatic switchover. There are 4 cell systems offering 4G. 4G coverage covers the out islands of Phu Quoc through to Cat Ba in the North.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Developing Countries Have Better Coverage Than The UK

GCHQ could probably do 100% coverage if the government gave them the money.

6. Malcolm Hall

I thought the UK had no 4G coverage until I switched to EE

7. Claverhouse Silver badge

Once There Was A Winchcombeshire...

That's a truly weird metric. So weird, maybe they were high...

When travelling around Great Britain I have never once noticed --- nor even wondered --- what parliamentary constituency I am in, or passing through.

Not mention how existentially unimportant the temporary holders of such seats are, yet the seats themselves are nearly as frequently rearranged on the map as are counties over the centuries

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3G is pretty crap as well

Currently touring the UK with an English SIM in my phone.

Getting a signal anywhere (town and country) is hit and miss.

9. Spanners Silver badge
    Facepalm

You think we've got it bad?

Talk to someone from the USA. Their central planning has allocated everywhere to one supplier only in a given area. Thank goodness, we were not limited in this marxist style!

The same, allegedly, goes for customer service too but that's more subjective.

10. Mayday
    FAIL

I'm an Aussie

And we seem to get coverage in most towns from one or two carriers. The "best" (my word, if you disagree then thats ok) is Telstra with coverage almost everywhere with some kind of population - if youre in the middle of nowhere or not on a major highway forget it of course. Optus and Vodafone would come second and third however doesnt work in a lot of non-metro areas.

When I travel to Bali I get a Telkomsel SIM which covers islands like Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Cenigan, neither of which have any cars or "roads" suitable for them. Let alone facilities such as Police or Ambulance or much in the way of shops.

My point being is if Victoria is the same size as the UK, has less than 10% of the poplation and can get reasonable coverage why cant the poms sort it out?

11. G R Goslin
    Unhappy

I'd be grateful...

... If even one of the big four actually supplied my area with 3g.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

When the best is rubbish

Each time the celebratory trumpets sound the “success” of EE coming out top (again), I shake my head in disappointment that “the best” means:

1. No indoor 4G coverage in many buildings I frequent within 3 miles of a large city centre

2. No data or calls during power cuts

Will be interesting to hear our Police Chief’s response when EE instruct him to inform his officers it’s unlikely to be a network issue, and they just need to reset their device’s network settings. Again. To no avail. Again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like