back to article Hey, Windows Insiders! Sorry about that whole 20H1 build thing. Won't happen again – honest

Microsoft has followed up its accidental Windows Insider emission with a grudging sort-of-explanation: something got changed and bad stuff happened. Soz. The posting, in a community forum, came after the software giant gave its army of unpaid testers an unexpected kicking in the form of an untested internal build of Windows 10 …

1. hplasm
    Devil

Windows Insider programme has three (sometimes four) rings.

So -a circus then?

Explains the clowns...

1. }{amis}{
      Go

Re: Windows Insider programme has three (sometimes four) rings.

I hope it's not because the clowns in the Microsoft circus would be clones of pennywise!

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Explains the clowns...

They're Audi drivers?

1. hplasm
        Happy

Re: Explains the clowns...

"They're Audi drivers?"

explains the clowns...!

3. MrMerrymaker

Re: Windows Insider programme has three (sometimes four) rings.

Explains the deep stench of dung...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The posting, in a community forum, came after the software giant gave its army of unpaid testers an unexpected kicking in the form of an untested internal build of Windows 10 spaffed over the Windows Insider network."

They're MS testers, as rightly pointed out, so why would anyone test before them ? /sarcasm

More seriously, it more and more shows what a shitshow Windows updates has now become.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

I'm surprised it was posted somewhere as public as a community forum. I'd have thought it would have been placed in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."

Seriously, though, what with the deeply unpopular "redesign" of Outlook, the frequent bugs in Office 365 and moving all their cloud servers back to the US* it seems they are actively trying to alienate as many of their customers as possible.

* probably because the CLOUD act means they can't be GDPR compliant anywhere so why spend the money

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

It's quite obvious really. If you don't want surprises and you don't want things to break then don't bloody join an insider beta test ring!

Saying that, it admittedly hasn't stopped them breaking things in builds that are full release. Still if you sign up for beta testing then you are guaranteed to get more of the same, it's part of the deal.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's like running on Sid - although possibly Sid might be more stable.

1. jake Silver badge

Or, if you prefer ...

... a systemd-free system: It's like running on Slackware-current, although Slackware-current is definitely a lot more stable.

2. Palpy

Sid -- via Siduction, anyway.

I've been running Siduction on my daily driver grandpa box for a couple of years now, and no update glitches. But it's not really the same as Microsoft's testing rings, I think. Sid has up-to-date kernel and software packages, but I don't think it is really a test-bed. Or perhaps it's just that the Debian team doesn't push a software package out to Sid unless it's considered by the package dev(s) to be a stable release -- ie, not a beta. Whereas MS uses the test ring -- at least the internal rings -- to check what are in essence beta packages?

4. 's water music

Flighty

We have made the necessary remediation in our Flighting service and have implemented additional changes to help prevent from this happening in the future. We apologize for any troubles this may have caused for affected Insiders and appreciate your assistance in bringing this to our attention so we could make the necessary changes as quickly as possible.

This is PR gold. Can I steal this? (asking for Boeing a friend)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Nothing new

After putting out an update that broke PCs running the 2 most popular AV packages on the planet, nothing Microgit does surprises me any longer.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Nothing new

You should most definitely not run 2 different AV packages on the same PC.

1. NetBlackOps Bronze badge

Not quite. You should never have two, or more, actively scanning at the same time. I've been using two, or more, for decades. No one malware tool is best at everything.

2. jake Silver badge

It's 2019 and your OS still needs AV snake-oil? How quaint.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep I thought the same too. Luckily my centos box had a good daily backup, and restored everything after a reinstall. Antivirus & backups are good, m’kay.

1. jake Silver badge

Sure you did. And what, pray tell, was the name of this supposed virus? What was the infection vector? Patch level of your system? Details, man! It's all about the details! (Why am I absolutely certain that the AC won't post more info on its supposed virus?)

Yes. Backups are good. Humans make mistakes.

But Linux AV snake-oil? Waste of CPU cycles.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never again

Yes, I'll note this when I get counseling at battered windows user shelter.

7. ma1010
    FAIL

It's agile at it's finest

Simples, MS is using "agile" programming techniques for their change management, applying the same careful testing techniques that Windows X users have always enjoyed, that is to say, none at all. Slap it together and push it out there; that's the way you do it if you're MS (and not only MS).

I really don't understand MS's "strategy" about Windows. They had a good thing going, lots and lots of desktop lock-in and a nice little upgrade treadmill where everybody had to upgrade because they stopped supporting older releases. Linux on the desktop a threat? Not really. I didn't really mind paying $200 or so every few years for my home computers, and corporate users paid a good deal more. And Windows actually worked without a lot of problems in most cases, so it was worth it. Then MS threw all that away to replace it with the current idiotic setup that, as far as I can tell, nobody much likes. And now I, and many others who would probably have used Windows desktops forever, have switched to Linux on the desktop to escape the morass of Win X.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: It's agile at it's finest

Not agile. DevOps. Which Microsoft has obviously re-invented in its own image.

8. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

never would I

be a M$ lab rat, not for all the rice in China!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: never would I

But China is low on rice! They had to import $1.6 billion in rice last year.

9. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Rant about Slurp

This is nothing new with Slurp, they must have thought they could get a some new TLA approved slurpware out without anyone noticing.

10. AdamWill

Good grief

...you know, being involved in building an operating system is enough to give anyone impostor syndrome sometimes. But whenever that happens I just go look at whatever Microsoft screwed up this week and think 'well at least we're not THAT bad'...

11. Milton

Call me curious

Call me curious, but why would anyone spend their precious time, unpaid, to test a product which makes money for somebody else?

If I volunteered a day of my time every week testing tyres for Chongpook, getting nothing for it but the knowledge that I'm helping the company make bigger profits—that I will never see a single cent of—wouldn't I be what in MBA jargon is termed an "Idiot"?

And if I did this using my own vehicle, costing me stress and inconvenience every time the tyres (quite frequently) fail, wouldn't I graduate to "Even Bigger Idiot"?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Call me curious

"Call me curious, but why would anyone spend their precious time, unpaid, to test a product which makes money for somebody else?"

A few need advanced access for testing upcoming third-party code releases. But that's not very many, not in the great scheme of things, and besides they are usually paid once the code is released.

For the rest, my guess is that it's the only "club" that'll have 'em as members. It makes the sorry saps feel important.

As a side note, many racers do exactly that ... they get free advanced release tires in return for feedback to the manufacturer. Many (all?) other auto components can also be sourced for free ... a friend makes quite the living on YouTube doing nothing more than bolting "free parts" onto his car and documenting the results. That's why many gearheads (not all! suckers abound) plaster their vehicles with decals; they are advertising for the folks supplying freebees.

12. earl grey
    Unhappy

i am curious, but yellow

Guess i'll skip updates for a while.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022