back to article Cloud makes it rain for Microsoft: IT giant turns green with Azure, cash poured all over investors

Microsoft on Thursday reported record revenue for its fourth fiscal quarter of 2019 and for its full fiscal year, predictably pushing its stock higher in after-hours trading. The software giant brought in $33.7bn in FY Q4 2019 revenue, a 12 per cent increase over the same quarter a year ago. Analysts had anticipated about $32. …

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Well maybe

Just maybe you can take some of that money and hire proper QA testers instead of relying on all your customers.

Glad going well for Mark Russinovich though. I like him and his Sysinternal tools. I know others have worked on them but if it wasn't for him and Bryan they may never have existed. Enjoy his fiction books as well.

Although he did slightly annoy me a few years but in an interview about Azure and the Cloud where he said some engineers don't like the Cloud as they know it will put them out of work. Well yes and no stopped watching after that comment, as came across a bit smug.

Other than that he seems like a nice and honest guy. Pointed out to MS how UAC was flawed (although still exists) his presentations of Case of the Unexplained have always been good (I think he might of now given them up :( he's not done one this year and said he's so busy with Azure now he's hired someone to take on the Sysinternals development). He's helped a few times when I've emailed him and was kind enough, him a David Solomon, to allow me to upload the old Sysinternals training video library from back in 2006 to YouTube so they'll always be preserved.

2. eamonkey

Cautions

Gartner Magic Quadrant(July 2019):

Microsoft Azure’s reliability issues continue to be a challenge for customers, largely as a result of Azure’s growing pains. Since September 2018, Azure has had multiple service-impacting incidents, including significant outages involving Azure Active Directory. The nature of many of these outages is such that customers had no controls in order to mitigate the downtime.

Gartner clients often experience challenges with on-time implementations within budget and that results from Microsoft setting unreasonably high expectations for customers. Much of this stems from modestly improving capabilities of Microsoft’s field sales teams to appropriately position and sell Azure within its customer base.

Enterprises frequently lament the quality of Microsoft technical support (along with the increasing cost of support) and field solution architects. This negatively impacts customer satisfaction, and slows Azure adoption and therefore customer spending.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cautions

Still consistently growing faster than AWS though, and more enterprises plan to use Azure in the long term than AWS, so unless something changes Azure will soon be the largest cloud platform.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

All is well then

Wall Street was expecting a record year, it got a bit more of a record year, so everything is fine. Cloud is justified, using customers as beta testers is justified, telemetry is not a problem, the sky is bright and blue and everyone is happy.

Now, if Microsoft had managed "only" $123bn, then it would have been doom and gloom and the share price would have dropped, right? Because they would have missed the mark by barely one per cent while still raking in the dough by the supertanker.

Stupid Wall Street analysts.

1. dnicholas

Re: All is well then

Markets are run by sentiment and cats, apparently

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022