back to article Symantec share price nose dives after rumored Broadcom biz gobble taken off the menu

Symantec's share price has plunged on reports that its planned merger with Broadcom has fallen through. According to CNBC, several sources have confirmed that the deal is off after Symantec insisted on too high a price – $28 a share – to sell up. That report, and the claim that it was asking too much, appear to have been …

1. Dvon of Edzore
    Happy

bounce-bounce-bounce

[Cue 4th movement, Beethoven's 9th Symphony]

Freude, Freude, Schadenfreude,

Tochter der Gemütlichkeit...

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: bounce-bounce-bounce

Argh! Thanks for that, now I'll never again be able to listen to the choir of that masterpiece without "your" words!

1. Dvon of Edzore
        Pint

Re: bounce-bounce-bounce

Welcome to my world. Have one on the house.

2. EnviableOne

the market speaks

shareholders listen, and the board acceeds

symantec is a sinking ship, and the markets know it.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Happy

Re: the market speaks

Symantec isn't a sensible purchase for anyone, least of all a chip company.

1. a_yank_lurker

Beat me to it, I was going say something similar.

2. ds6 Silver badge

The best part is Symantec walked away from the deal. Broadcom was about to do them a favor.

Now they get to die a slow, painful death in liquidation and litigation hell.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Yellow Bucket o' Fail

Anyone who's been unfortunate enough to witness SYMC's executive management and C-suite in action from the belly of the beast can only be surprised it's taken this long. It's a remarkably efficient engine for absorbing valuable companies, their best people and IP, and systematically wrecking their value. Somehow churning the C-suite every 18 months over the last decade hasn't helped at all. Almost as if they all realised it was a doomed mission and the best case scenario for them would be to collect a fat signing-on bonus, stacks of (not very valuable) stock, and to get a fat payoff 18 months later. Each successive new broom flourishes some brilliant new insight or methodology that's bound to turn things round, except it doesn't - because it can't. The best thing they could do would be to divest themselves of all the acquisitions and let them fly free again. If they hung onto 49% of the stock in those demerged units and became nothing more than a brass plate over a holding company that shuffles paper and banks dividents, the world would be a less bad place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big Yellow Bucket o' Fail

The C-suite is always given free reign at Symantec. Then about 18 months in, the board says they want the steering wheel. And another leadership team is ejected. Three times the board has put one of their own in charge. The pissed off the one CEO that could have done it, Greg Clark. My opinion is the board needs to go. They are the only consistent variable over the past decade of lackluster.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like