back to article Did you buy a hot Asus Rog Strix notebook? Like, really hot? Like, super hot? Like, ow-ow-ow my lap's on fire hot?

Asus is set to pay gamers in America up to $320 each and cover the cost of new motherboards and power adapters for a couple of its defective laptops. The Taiwanese computer slinger sold just under 25,000 of the two affected Rog Strix laptops (GL502VS and GL502VSK) models, advertising them as portable gaming machines. Neither …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Under a proposed settlement [PDF] submitted this week to a California...

Seriously??? Those customers had to latch onto a class action lawsuit in order to get Asus to take responsibility for a product that didn't work... what a bunch of shiite. Asus couldn't just do the right thing? Wouldn't it have been cheaper and nicer just to own up to it and replace laptops as they failed?

When HP pulled shiite like that with nvidia graphics adapters overheating, they DIDN'T fix their customers and I will never fu**ing buy another HP product. Is attempting to shaft tens of thousands of customers really more profitable in the long run than simply owning up to your mistake?

Why did 25000 of your customers who spent big $$$ on your laptops have to jump through hoops, ASUS?

1. jgarbo

Re: Under a proposed settlement [PDF] submitted this week to a California...

It's Business 101: Profit, profit and profit. A bit like Economics 101: This works perfectly if we exclude people.

Is it the psychological distance of corporations? We can't see our customers only our products so the products must be right.

2. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

The computers became hot to the touch

Did they try putting the laptops in the freezers BEFORE using?

See icon -->

3. tempemeaty
    Joke

I roasted all my marshmallows on the Apple MacBook Pro's camp stove feature. I guess I'll have to get some more for the Asus camp stove feature...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am currently typing this response on an Asus GL502VS right now and while it gets warm, it never gets to be what I consider hot. It would shutdown from hitting the CPU/GPU thermal limiters before it ever got hot. After I replaced all the thermal paste and thermal pads it runs cooler than ever and runs rather cool, even under full load.

The battery drain issue has never bothered me, it at most goes down by 8-10% after hours of gaming, I don't see how this is a problem worthy of a lawsuit, it just sounds like just a bunch of whining Americans launching frivolous lawsuits to me.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

So, here's what I'm hearing you saying. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your post.

1. Your machine is fine.

2. Well, actually, your machine is fine after you did some work on it. It isn't stated what it was like before that, but something made you want to reapply thermal paste and pads.

3. So at some point, your computer probably wasn't fine.

4. You are fine with the charger not, if you want to get technical, working as expected in as much as charging the battery under some conditions.

5. Because you are fine with this, and your computer is, to restate things, working fine now, nobody else's could be defective.

6. Therefore, based on your sample size of one person who might not have all the problems and doesn't care about one of them, there is no problem.

Did I get that right?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who do I complain to for the amount of heat your roasting gave off?

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Strix?

If they'd used their kettle control switches there wouldn't have been a problem.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. James O'Brien
    Mushroom

And therein lies the problem

At the risk of sounding like I am calling out specific companies how is this any different that crApple and the Macs with the desktop chips in them? They rework the fan curves and voltages to allow the CPU to run at higher speeds for longer while sitting at 95°C or higher and if you have seen any of the tear downs of other "gaming" laptops the bloody heatsink designed for them is gigantic. I get the limited space but really? How is it that temps high enough to possible warp parts and cause thermal runaway (let's be honest because that's basically whats going on here since the cooling solutions suck at best) don't get noticed in development? Does making sure it works properly and as advertised now a days involve turning it on making sure it posts and then gets the stamp of approval with no further testing?

Sounds suspiciously like Corsair with the hardware/firmware/software they have been putting out as of late. To put it bluntly in Corsairs case I caught them bold faced lying to the consumers and ignoring issues (issues like ICue reporting the AIO pump and fans running at the normal speeds with a temp reading of around 34°C, except looking at said fans you could clearly see they were in the silent running mode of what I like to call "OFF" and the pump was not running either. When I checked the temps using something else watched my 2700X display a temp of 88 then 95 then off, about that fast.) Needless to say I have been roasting them hard on their own forums for the last several months, and I have not been nice about it at times seeing as my issue is not just with me but the fact that so many others are having similar issues with no sign of light at the end. I think they are afraid I will let out the timeline of what transpired because what I found would seriously cloud optics of how they have been addressing things. And result in way more money than what just fixing it would cost.

For the record they have till August to finish holding up the end of the deal they made with me otherwise I will go public.

Withdrew first comment as I put in 9900K without thinking and didn't catch till after window passed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like