back to article Don't make a FOSS: Apache Software Foundation Board bids farewell to co-founder and two big hitters

To lose one board member may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness, but to lose three? The nature of the Board of Directors of open source foundations means churn is a normal part of life, indeed many open source board members can be swapped out at the whim of a community vote, as they should. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Freebie

Now they wont need those nice swivels chairs, can I have one?

Pretty please??

2. binnyrog

Apache Going down like Every Other Tech Startup? Well no! :p

Apache guys will find three more executives to work for them so there is no need of worrying about them.

3. Lee D Silver badge

Not sure what the Apache foundation does any more.

They have a load of projects that are just dead.

They keep flogging the OpenOffice dead horse (in the process failing to properly secure it) rather than just donating the name to the LibreOffice project.

The sheer list of projects-you've-never-heard-of on their site is amazing. I'm sure there's a few in there than underpin important things but I wouldn't know... there's just too much cruft.

And they're aren't particularly doing a fabulous job with pushing Apache itself forward either. Hands up if you know what the last major feature was that you desired in Apache and was delivered? 2.2 is EOL. 2.4 has been out since 2012. 2.5/2.6 has... what? Someone tell me something it has that we're all desperate to include in our web servers? The docs page for it even on the official site literally just has the new features in 2.4 on it and nothing else. (I'll give you one... mod_md... ever heard of it? That's because it's basically just a cleanup of auth/certificate code... with a bit of LetsEncrypt thrown in... and works on 2.4.30 anyway).

Apache is the convalescence home once software becomes infirm, until it dies.

1. James R Grinter

Clearly the board exist to oversee the operation of the foundation and are not product managers of every single (or any, unless they happen to be) Apache Project (as you note, there a lot. More, if you include those in incubation).

Projects are managed by Project Management Committees (clever play on words, there), take it up with them - or join them!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Super proud"

Actual proper grown-ups write and say such ridiculously childish things as "super proud"? «vomits»

(At least they weren't "super excited", I suppose...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like