back to article Japan drops banhammer on drunk-droning for the sake of public safety

Everyone has a mate who won't stop droning after a few bevvies – and the Japanese government clearly thinks the activity is dangerous enough to be outlawed. Today, among other restrictions clapped on UAV enthusiasts, the country approved penalties for anyone caught drink-droning with kit weighing more than 200g – including a …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Japan

sake of public safety

I see what your did there!

2. JoMe

Understandable, especially given that some countries now require you to register drones under certain conditions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally I don't see a problem if the drone is in level flight, but I absolutely agree that you shouldn't drink and dive

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Alert

"Drink and dive"

Same goes for swimming, especially in natural waters that could be hiding obstacles. Or water that's too deep.

(Bought a new house last month and the pool goes to 10 feet. It's weird swimming in water over my head again that's not a natural lake with dirt/sand/mud bottom or steady wave action; haven't been in that situation since I was in high school. If I'm going to drink, I'll find a good floatie or stick to the shallow end, not just dive/jump in.)

1. SolidSquid

Re: "Drink and dive"

The difference there is that you're only putting yourself at risk, not other people. Still not a good idea though

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For a moment there, I thought they'd banned alcohol from karaoke bars...

1. Christoph

I thought it meant playing the bagpipes while drunk.

1. jelabarre59

I thought it meant playing the bagpipes while drunk.

What, that isn't how they're played normally? Or as the joke Dad would tell goes:

"Why do bagpipers walk around while playing?"

"To get away from the noise."

5. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

Have you appointed your designated droner?

I'm in the middle of divorcing from it.

6. Mike Moyle

Laws banning drunken droning...?

Headline: "Legislative Bodies Around the World Go Silent as New Law Goes Into Effect"

1. FozzyBear

Re: Laws banning drunken droning...?

It's a beautiful dream to have isn't it?

7. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Mushroom

UK Limits

The alcohol limit for flight crew, cabin crew and air traffic controllers in the UK is 20mg of alcohol/100ml blood, I see no reason drone pilots shouldn't be subject to the same level.

8. joeW

Gatwick

Was it ever proven that there really was a drone near the airport?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Was it ever proven that there really was a drone near the airport?

According to this non-contemporary report there could have been a few hundred of them...

https://sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/gatwick-airport-all-abuzz-with-new-arrivals

The rumour could have been started by the baggage-handlers as they didn't relish the prospect of 40 to 50 thousand workers coming in to take their jobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like