back to article We are Google, we are proud, English football is moving to our cloud

The Football Association - which governs competitive football in England - has fallen prey to the rise of the player analytics machines, having thrown its lot in with Google's public cloud and associated tools. Besides adding G Suite and Hangouts to its game plan, the FA and its national centre St George's Park said today they …

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Finally...

...we might get data-based answers to the important questions that have been knocking around football years, such as:

Who did eat all the pies? and How much bigger is our shed than this?

1. Dabooka Silver badge

Re: Finally...

Not to mention who indeed is that bastard in the black?

2. steviebuk Silver badge

They'll regret it

Having supported gsuite for 3 years they'll discover, as we did, that it is shit. Google keep is only thing i like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They'll regret it

Agreed, its absolute garbage!

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: They'll regret it

And I shall add. You are required to use GAM to manual GSuite mailboxes and users Google Drive. It seemed to be an after thought app to me. I don't know if they've now fixed this but this was still valid last year, you'd hope they'd have sorted it but probably not. That is, you setup GAM to manager GSuite users and need to save that to your machine. If someone has admin access and can grab your install folder for GAM, then that's it. They now have full access to everyone's mailbox and Google Drive via GAM using your login, without requiring to every have to put your details in.

Everything is basic. Google Docs is basic, Google Sheets even more so, so much so most finance people still require Excel because Sheets is so poor on functions. Google Docs you can't change orientation of a page midway through. It's all landscape or all portrait, you can't have a mix.

Google Docs claims to support several different formats but as you import your docx files it regularly screws up the formatting.

Share a Google Doc or Sheet with another user and they require a Google account to be able to read it.

Google Hangouts, although useful has a shit Android app. The amount of times it fails to upload images is FING annoying.

The only thing I like is Google Keep. That is actually really useful including the plugin for Chrome. Meaning you can highlight text from a page, right click, save to Google Keep. It will save what you highlighted and attach the link as well.

Oh and the fact that when with GSuite, YouTube can't be blocked, bonus.

Overall it's simply shit.

3. MOH

Three lions something something Hertz

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh goody

All the more data that they can slurp.

Beware footie fans Google is on the prowl.

They will know what team you support. Yes, all you Man U fans in London. They will know where you live. :) :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nietzsche receives a yellow card after claiming that Confucius has no free will. Confucius replies, "Name go in book"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jesus saves, but Buddha scores on the rebound ...

6. Whiskers

Football is not our national sport; 'discussing football' is [☆]. Football is not moving into the clouds (although it does sometimes happen in fog), but 'discussing football' has always had a large nebulous element.

[☆] For several values of 'discuss'.

7. Semtex451

I've probably missed a paragraph of explanation again

"collecting data on every ball-kicker across 28 national teams."

Would it not be more efficient to work on the dozen or so players eligible to play for England?

1. Dabooka Silver badge

Re: I've probably missed a paragraph of explanation again

It's competitor analysis too I guess.

1. Semtex451

Re: I've probably missed a paragraph of explanation again

Oh very sneaky

8. Andy 97

All sounds wonderful; finally we can all tell the replacement Google manager to "f disc, shut-down... shut-down, f disc" (or whatever the Unix equivalent is).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021