back to article Let's Pope mass upgrade of Vatican Library data centre is blessed with some of that famed infallibility

The Holy See has upgraded the data centre used to preserve the extensive collection of historic documents held in the Vatican Apostolic Library. It has dismantled the old bit barn and replaced it with a small, self-contained facility with new networking infrastructure and eight server cabinets in a hot containment system. "We …

1. Semtex451
    Devil

What's this company's turnover? Their margins must be very good indeed.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Angel

"Their margins must be very good indeed"

No, they rely mainly on angel investors.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backups

"The scans also serve as backup if any misfortune befalls the library itself."

That's useful, but I hope they have the sense to go one step further and create physical copies from the scans - digital copies won't survive the collapse of our technological civilisation.

1. John Jennings

Re: Backups

15thC library. Methinks that this is one organisation which will manage backups effectively. Probably a few hundred monks scribbling away.

Gawd but that would have been an interesting implementation project!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

"Probably a few hundred monks scribbling away."

Soon mobe-pokers and emojis will spell the end of handwriting... maybe it will only survive among monks, who knows?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

"digital copies won't survive the collapse of our technological civilisation."

I guess they think a couple of bibles is all the next civilization needs...

1. Grikath

Re: "digital copies won't survive the collapse of our technological civilisation."

Bit more than bibles there.. Quite a bit more, actually.

It's not generally realised, but a lot of the stuff we know about what happened in history (and isn't propaganda) does not come from a "historian" being present, or taking notes from survivors journalist-style. We know because of the godawful rows about who gets to pay the bills that got Religiously preserved by Accountancy and Legal.

And about half the library is that kind of "boring" stuff that will become accessible to researchers that know it's in there somewhere, but don't have the neccessary accreditation.

Not that it isn't a good idea to not let everyone paw fragile medieval documents, but this digitization project makes things a lot more accessible.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "digital copies won't survive the collapse of our technological civilisation."

Add in a few land transactions and marriage contracts.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

In my experience, "marriage contract" is a subset of the aforementioned "godawful rows about who gets to pay the bills".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Remenber it stores what they had no time or will to destroy and burn.... when they didn't burn the authors directly.

Religions are often very effective at trying to destroy knowledge, and many books and libraries were destroyed in the name of some god - and those who think a single books is the only book you need to read, are the worst ones. We still see some religious madness about books today.

Sure, some books were preserved because regarded useful, or because stupid people read into them what wasn't written, or because some cleverer ones understood their value, and couldn't destroy them.

Anyway this the Library, not the Archives - it doesn't store Popes shopping lists.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solaris hardware?

Father, Sun and Holy Ghost

4. Am

>"eight of its Net-Access Type S server cabinets in a hot isle containment configuration"

So somewhere in the Caribbean maybe?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

So somewhere in the Caribbean maybe?

Damn! Beat me to it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they use tablets to access it?

7. Crazy Operations Guy

Hoping they are using a reasonable file format

I'm hoping they use something like bitmaps or plain text to store their scanned data rather than some proprietary format. Like right now I am dealing with recovering some 10-year old scans of contracts that were scanned in some archaic format that the only bit of software that can read it runs only on Windows 95/98 and requires a special image processing card that doubled as the interface to the scanner.

For reference, I believe that the World would be better off if the Catholic Church just up and disappeared overnight, or at least their management and central organization. But they are holding on to some historical records that are quite important from when they went through their World Domination phase and stole everything that wasn't Catholic, and burnt everything they couldn't abscond with; making them the only people with any written information left in Europe / Western Asia.

Also, they are still holding on to a lot of files that are quite pertinent to on-going criminal investigations (Although I'm pretty sure those aren't going to be making it into their archives)

1. Mark 85

Re: Hoping they are using a reasonable file format

Not just on-going investigations. They have a large number of documents that basically are "eyes only" and limited to a very select few if the stories and rumors are to be believed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's a different archive. The Vatican Archives, where documents about the operations of the Vatican are stored, is not the Library - although their physical locations are very close.

It is true many documents in the Vatican Archives are not available - they are run as state archives with the same level of secrecy - if not more, and being an absolute monarchy (the papacy is modeled after the Roman Emperor.... Caesar is often more appealing than God) there are no FOIA or the like....

2. jelabarre59

Not just on-going investigations. They have a large number of documents that basically are "eyes only" and limited to a very select few if the stories and rumors are to be believed.

*THOSE* are usually kept in the brain of a 14-yr-old nun with eidetic memory...

2. AK565

But seriously, we all know the vatican would never deliberately exclude anything from digitization. It's just that info that might present Rome in an unflattering light will mysteriously find it self at tje bottom of the priority list. Thats all. #

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just follow the link...

"The implementation of DigiVatLib is based on open standards for metadata and APIs that allow the digital collections to be interoperable. We have adopted the International Image Interoperability Framework, or IIIF set of APIs making digital materials easily accessible and usable for scholars worldwide."

4. Captain Scarlet
      Windows

Something like a Kofax Adrenaline SCSI card?

Used to have those linked up to an ancient Kodak Scanner, although we used the Tif format.

8. aks

Off-site disaster recovery

I wonder how this is being handled. I'm also hoping that they've been talking to the Gutenberg project and Google regarding the image format, OCR etc. Should be a fascinating project to do OCR on manuscripts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Off-site disaster recovery

The only time I pray is when I need the off-site backup to work, it seems to have worked for them.

9. SVV
    Devil

Vatican Library Data Centre

Presumably they will not be advertising a job vacancy for their own Bastard Operator From Hell.

1. Ashentaine
      Angel

Re: Vatican Library Data Centre

A Blessed Operator From Heaven, perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can he (no nuns doing priests' jobs, there) excommunicate users from the Holy Domain?

You shall have no other domains before me

You shall not take the name of the Domain in vain

Observe the patches day, to keep it holy

Honor your hardware and your software

You shall not kill critical processes

Neither shall you commit adultery installing someone else's software

Neither shall you steal users' passwords and data

Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor ["who, me?"]

Neither shall you covet your neighbor's faster CPU, SSD and larger monitor.

You shall not desire anything that is your neighbor's local file system, external disks, and cloud storage

2. -tim
      Coat

Their BOFH can pick his own email address and that could be as simple as va@va

1. Wapiya
        Go

Their BOFH can pick his own email address and that could be as simple as va@va

The va TLD currently has no MX record. ua has one...

And va and BOFH does that mix?

10. VTAMguy

Press release article, no research done, no real information presented

Reads like a press release from Panduit. Not a lot of real information about the process here other than a bunch of statistics like you would find in a press release.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like