back to article Pivotal adds OpenJDK support to Spring in response to 'concerns' around Oracle's Java

Pivotal, developer of the open-source Spring Framework for Java, has confirmed official support for OpenJDK to address "questions in the community" about changes to the way Oracle Java SE is distributed and supported. "Many companies and enterprises are scrambling trying to understand their options around support of their …

1. bryces666

really unsure

When that auto update said we had to pay, because we are a business, that license change was confusing. I don't even know what might actually be making use of java on half of our machines, I didn't install it so other applications may have included it? Anyway, immediate reaction is cancel the auto updates and leave it be, not the best security wise but I guess when we work out where it is really needed we will install openjdk instead, not being extorted for something that was previously free and now Oracle has decided screw you all. Middle finger right back at you Oracle, we will move away!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apache Tomcat the most popular Java application server

That's a bit like saying "dog is the most popular shit."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apache Tomcat the most popular Java application server

Tomcat is excellent - what are you talking about?

3. james_smith

Work switched to the Azul Systems version of the JDK both for licensing and convenience (good packaging support on Linux, Windows and OSX). OpenJDK based, but run through the same test suite that Oracle uses for its binary distributions. None of the Oracle licensing w*nk though.

4. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Gap is narrowed to zero

We used to always recommend the Oracle JDK with our software and could find noticable differences between the two as recently as 8. However with JDK 11 the gap appears to have narrowed to zero, from what we've seen anyway. We lean very heavily on the weird corners of the Graphics2D package, but now results are pixel-identical, at least on Linux. Consequently we're now recommending OpenJDK.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021