back to article DRAM, that's cold: Overclockers squeeze out extra Micron DDR4 performance with liquid nitrogen system

Micron's Ballistix Elite brand of DDR4 memory has been overclocked by almost 60 per cent using liquid nitrogen cooling. Overclocking memory increases bandwidth and transfer speed but ramps up its temperature. It's useful when gaming speed is held back by memory bandwidth rather than being gated by CPU or video card speeds. …

1. Julian 8 Silver badge

Amazing the lengths we have to go to now to get our performance back due to HT being switched off due to the latest bugs in their processors

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh well, the atmosphere is 79% nitrogen, unlike helium supply is not a problem.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OK, 78%. My textbook is so old, argon hadn't been discovered.

2. Crisp
    Go

Do I want a gaming rig with a cooling system that can condense oxygen out of the atmosphere?

Strangely enough... I do.

3. iron Silver badge

Not very cold

77K isn't that cold. Come back to me when they're cooling so much they have to warm the RAM up to make it work.

Apparently below about 14K RAM does not function. (source Mark Russinovich)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not very cold

That's nothing. I don't work below 290K or above 303K.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Who would ever need 640K though...

Or am I getting my units muddled ;)

2. MiguelC Silver badge

You should work at 310K as a standard

2. Hans 1
      Boffin

Mark Russinovich ? I love sysinternals, don't get me wrong, one of those glasses of ice-water in hell, but ... How he can try to hide Windows' piss-poor memory management with the sentence "unused RAM is wasted RAM" with a straight face is beyond me ...

NB: I totally agree, until you need that RAM, though ...

4. Alistair
    Windows

ice9 computing.

Vonnegut would have a field day with this one.

5. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

I find it rather odd.

That they started with that speed of memory when 4600 is available which could be overclocked to 5000 without any special cooling.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: I find it rather odd.

I suspect they tried a few different types...

6. Hans 1
    Joke

However, if you really want to go all out on liquid nitrogen, EVGA Gaming has a Roboclocker that might do the job. ®

Where is the cryorefrigerator, there ? If I want that at home, I want a cryorefrigerator, I do not want to go buy and recycle liquid cylinders every day ... amateurs! I was thinking of the K170040A - 40W@170K, should do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like