back to article I'll, er, get the tab? It's Internet Edgeplorer as browser pulls up chair to the Chromium table

There were nods to the past and future at Microsoft's Seattle Build event as the company teased upcoming features for its latest crack at a browser that people might want to use. It lives! Internet Explorer compatibility in Edge... almost Leaving Internet Explorer festering in Windows 10 as the original Edge was launched did …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mantra

Embrace.

Extend.

Extinguish.

Remember that.

Repeat that when installing the Windows Subsystem for Linux as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mantra

I think you're in the wrong thread, son.

Nevertheless, even in the highly unlikely scenario where MS ousts Chrome with Edge - what's the difference for the end users? That would take many years to accomplish and Google wouldn't be nearly as complacent as they are these days. It's not like this is MS crushing poor Netscape - Google can pour unlimited money to keep Chrome at its top position.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't worry, Microsoft literally have no clue, they seem to believe the reason everyone hates Edge is because of the rendering engine...

Edges problems are much bigger, which is why we all use chrome

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Using Chrome to avoid IE is like going under a tank to avoid a truck.... Google is the new MS - face it.

That why there are people who use nor Chrome nor IE.

And because you posted with Chrome, you could look anonymous here, but Google knows what you did...

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

I always feel like somebody's tracking me (can't get no privacy)

Nice Rockwell reference there, you do know Michael Jackson sang back up on that song? Right?

Just trying the new Edge here and there. It doesn't seem as clumsy as the original?...

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I wonder if this is just spinning up IE as a hidden process in the background and displaying the tab in Edge as opposed to actually emulating the IE functions in the Chromium engine?

It might encourage a few enterprises with legacy intranet sites to switch to using Edge but I think Microsoft still have a LONG way to go to encourage people to use Edge over Chrome/FF/Vivlali etc unless they need the IE mode.

1. Malcolm 1

I'm fairly sure that's exactly what it's doing

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It might encourage a few enterprises with legacy intranet sites to switch to using Edge"

This is what most enterprises already do. Enterprise Mode already exists in Edge, but launches a separate IE Window.

The only difference here is that IE will appear within the Edge browser as a new tab rather than as a separate window.

1. teknopaul

Its laugh they spent all these years trying to lock in customers to IE only to be bit by an inablity to change years later.

Microsoft news seems to be less scary than Google news of late. I wish them well. A modicum of competition can only be a good thing.

1. TheVogon

"Its laugh they spent all these years trying to lock in customers to IE only to be bit by an inablity to change years later."

Not really - it means that corporates use Edge instead of Chrome as Chrome cant handle these legacy sites whereas Edge can automatically launch them in IE.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So really, the term 'Enterprise' really means 'Legacy'. Speaks volumes really.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"non-malicious trackers"

I'm sorry, that is a concept that I simply do not understand. How is it that a tracker that is following my Internet activity and browsing habits not be deemed malicious ? My life is private, no one should have the right to track me without a warrant simply because they have the means to do so.

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Happy

Reaping what they sew ...

So theTL;DR bit is that years ago MS bullied its way to be "numero uno" by pissing all over web standards and locking people in to IE (IE6 in particular). And that's what's become the standard enough that no amount of new shiny can dislodge it.

Boo fucking hoo.

1. Malcolm 1

Re: Reaping what they sew ...

I think you are being revisionist. At the time of IE6 Web Standards weren't really a thing - you had the IE way or the Netscape way and they had some degree of overlap. Web Standards were embryonic and intitally at least IE6 was more compliant than Netscape.

After that of course Web Standards started to become a more concrete concern and Microsoft dropped the ball spectacularly - I'm not going to defend that.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: At the time of IE6 Web Standards weren't really a thing

So why the fuck did I spend the 90s working on a slew of RFCs ?

Just because people don't know about, or can't be bothered to use standards, doesn't mean they didn't exist.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IE4 release September 1997

IE6 release August 27, 2001.

Document Object Model Specification W3C Working Draft 09-Oct-1997

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 1 Specification Version 1.0 W3C Recommendation 1 October, 1998.

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 Core Specification Version 1.0 W3C Recommendation 13 November, 2000

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 HTML Specification Version 1.0 W3C Proposed Recommendation 27 September, 2000

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 HTML Specification Version 1.0 W3C Working Draft 13 November, 2000

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 HTML Specification Version 1.0 W3C Candidate Recommendation 05 June 2002

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 HTML Specification Version 1.0 W3C Proposed Recommendation 08 November 2002

Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 HTML Specification Version 1.0 W3C Recommendation 09 January 2003

The damage was done by Internet Explorer 4, which introduced its DOM and really cemented Internet Explorer's dominance.

By Internet Explorer 6, standardization was already on its way.

DOM Level 2 introduced document.getElementById. Microsoft added it to Internet Explorer 5.5, but added in a way that fell back to matching names, allowing web developers to make pages with missing ids that worked only on Internet Explorer.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

It's an interesting list, but surely the reason IE6 is so hated is because *IE7* didn't show up until mid-2006, by which time the rest of the world had realised the merit of a standards-based web.

6. Kubla Cant

Which IE?

What larks! Can we expect Edge to emulate the justly-reviled IE6?

1. joeW

Re: Which IE?

Not even IE11 does that. The "Emulation Mode" list jumps straight from IE5 to IE7.

7. J27

Now they can finally dump old IE and I never need to remove it again.

8. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Trollface

It's ironic that Internet Explorer, that thing Microsoft were punished by the EU for including in the OS, is now that thing they are desperate to get rid of.

9. tempemeaty

Google won.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Or the consumer lost.

Hopefully Firefox will keep on trucking. Still my favourite browser, as I prefer the old UI with menus.

But as with MS of old, complacency has set in at Google - and they could suffer similar problems as MS did, back in the day.

The EU may hit them with the fine stick for the dodgy way they got Chrome to the top of the market share list - far dodgier than MS giving it away free - as Google were effectively using spyware tactics to get it onto peoples' systems - coming as an add-on install to Flash and Acrobat Reader (which then made itself default browser). Or they may so blot their privacy copybook that they become a byword for dodginess, as is happening to Facebook.

1. slartybartfast

I’ve lost count the number of software I’ve looked at over the years that recommend I install Chrome. A lot of it automatically installs it unless you untick the install option.

10. ChrisPVille

We've Seen this Before

"rather than a simple copy and paste, the objects are linked back to their sources..."

This sounds vaguely reminiscent of OLE and all its promises of multimedia documents. I guess everything old is new again, except now with 70% more web browser.

1. JLV

Re: We've Seen this Before

Yup and while we’re at it I remember the security holes from that and ActiveX.

But does the damn thing have a menu or not is what I want to know.

2. NerryTutkins

Re: We've Seen this Before

Indeed, and I seem to recall having an add on probably 10 years ago on Firefox that spun up IE in a tab, for sites that only ran with that. It's certainly not an original idea, surprised they didn't think of that in Edge before, but instead forced people to actually use a different browser.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: web OLE

Allowing a word document or power point slide to link directly to 3rd party content on the web? What could possibly go wrong with that unholy combination of security blunders I wonder...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firefox has become the Lone Ranger of the World wide Web!

12. Mr Dogshit

Can I install Privacy Badger and Ghostery? Thought not.

13. Unicornpiss
    Meh

If it's going to use the same underpinnings as Chrome..

..why wouldn't everyone just continue to use Chrome? Microsoft keeps making up features that no one asked for or cares about. Sometimes I think the only reason some of their more absurd choices get any play is that young-uns entering the workforce have not experienced logical, consistent UIs, and as such don't know any different.

1. Timmy B

Re: If it's going to use the same underpinnings as Chrome..

"why wouldn't everyone just continue to use Chrome? "

The same question occurred to me. What I was hoping for was basically Chrome inside a better UI (I can't stand Chrome because of the UI). Something a bit like Vivaldi but a little better. But what exists at the moment is just Chrome. The UI is 90% the same. It is a smidge faster but that's about all.

I can't see people opting to use it unless MS can find a feature or incorporate all the nice features from Edge (setting aside tabs, pen based note taking, the really nice history/favs/dl menu, etc.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some of us don’t let Google infect our lives and machines or spy and steal data. The browser is irrelevant, I chose “not Chrome”. I switch between Firefox and Edge depending on mood but will never use Chrome.

It’s not that I have something to hide, I just don’t have anything I want them to see.

1. Timmy B

" I switch between Firefox and Edge depending on mood but will never use Chrome."

I use Brave / Vivaldi and Edge. I try each every now and then to see what I prefer. 90% of the time it's Edge. I like the current Edge and don't want it taken away.... (Except for Dynamics - why MS do some screens only work in CHROME????)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I like to avoid slurp too, so I avoid both Chrome and Edge. Avoiding one for the other just seems to make a mockery of the 'I hate slurp' statement.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

14. DrBobK

Candice Poon.

Really? Really???

1. DenonDJ DN-2500F

Yup : http://www.candicepoon.com/

Probably better qualified to comment here than you. Better qualified in general I would suspect.

We run 4 browsers (Edge, FF, IE, Chrome - some may be running Opera?) here due to incompatibilities on different apps ( oh yes - and FF can bypass the company proxy )

I tend to stick with FF & Edge. Chrome is only for sites that have video ( the video card on my Dell is pre-windows 10 and videos only show as a green screen on anything other than Chrome )

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Pint

Looks like that 2008 internship paid off for Microsoft. Good luck to Ms Poon.

Seriously, there seems to be a generational shift at Microsoft together with a new pragmatism. Interesting times. Just wish they would drop the slurp.

15. TheGriz

Did someone just use PRIVACY and a Microsoft Product in the same sentence? LOL

Of more interest to end users is the arrival of extra privacy options in Edge, although the function remains somewhat of a moving target, with even the names of the Privacy levels up for grabs as development continues. . .

HA!, now if Microsoft would extend their newly found love of "PRIVACY" to the entire Windows 10 OS, now THAT would be something to brag about.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if they preach about privacy and security ad nauseamm, they will never gain the browser superiority they desperately crave. Here's hoping someone figures out someday how to block all of the Windows 10 data slurping. I'm still running Windows 7 at home and it's gonna kill me to have to finally break down and use Win10 when MS kills off 7 entirely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like