back to article Thanks to the NASA InSight probe (and British tools), you can now listen to the sound of a Martian earthquake

NASA’s InSight lander has detected seismic waves on Mars for the first time and the space agency is letting everyone else listen in too. Scientists working with the InSight’s Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure (SEIS) instrument Have recorded four of the so-called ‘marsquakes’ since the instrument came online but the …

1. Mike Brown

And they drew there plans against us...

Sounds like the cylinder unscrewing....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm glad to hear that Mars is still somewhat tectonically active.

Hopefully that means something positive for one day terraforming the joint. Assuming those blood-sucking, tentacle-waving Martians don't show up and form some PC red planet indigenous-rights group

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Joke

Re: I'm glad to hear that Mars is still somewhat tectonically active.

Assuming those blood-sucking, tentacle-waving Martians don't show up and form some PC red planet indigenous-rights group

Sir/Ma'am/Other,

The autochthon population will be cared for through mandatory transfer to habitat domes currently in the process of being established in various climatic districts across the face of the planet. There is no need to disparage or impugn their character in any manner or in fact believe in the existence of, past or present, members of the Polytentacular Martian race until such time as they present themselves for registration and relocation has commenced. Their de facto representative in this forum, AMFM, may wish to weigh in on this subject, but we remain confident the scheduled terraforming regime will proceed to plan.

Sincerely.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Beachrider

Re: I'm glad to hear that Mars is still somewhat tectonically active.

What if we find something that was ONCE common on Mars, but now clings to extancy? Does "the prime directive' come into play?

3. heyrick Silver badge

Quakes on Mars?

I thought the planetary motor (core) had stopped, shouldn't that mean tectonic movement has basically stopped? Or are the rumblings the sounds of stuff hitting it on the other side?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Quakes on Mars?

That's probably some of the questions they're hoping to answer.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Quakes on Mars?

Maybe the core is still cooling and contracting.

Or the Martians are aware of our probing and a "running silent". One just dropped a spanner. The others all look at it in an accusing way. Meanwhile, the NASA engineers are under instructions to send just one ping.

4. jake Silver badge

Sounds like ...

... the soundtrack of any number of low budget scifi movies.

If they got THAT part right, we might be in all kinds of trouble ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021