back to article BBM is dead, long live BBMe: Encrypted chat plat opened up to all as consumer version burns

BlackBerry has said it will open up its BBM Enterprise encrypted chat service to all-comers as the consumer version nears death. The pioneering OTT (over-the-top) chat service was first introduced in 2005 and after BlackBerry's refusal to unbundle it from its phones became widely imitated, allegedly most successfully by …

1. Paratrooping Parrot
    Mushroom

I prefer

Signal.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: I prefer

I like Signal, too but BBM is better for groups, which you can't really manage with Signal. But there are other alternatives which are less likely to be thrown to the wolves: Threema, for example, has a dedicated business product.

1. Korev Silver badge

I like both Signal and Threema, the only problem is my friends don't... I have over 10X more contacts on WhatsApp than the other two.

1. Bronek Kozicki Silver badge

... it is a common problem :(

2. Adrian 4 Silver badge

Why give in and use a dead end like Whats App ?

If they value your contact, they'll use your preference. If they don't .. well, why do you need them ?

1. phuzz Silver badge

"If they value your contact, they'll use your preference."

Except of course, that cuts both ways...

3. Hans 1 Silver badge
          Windows

If you use WhatsApp, your opinion does not count.

2. Eddy Ito

Really? I noticed it becoming just another spam channel as everyone I knew moved to other platforms and as a result I turned off notifications for it. They waited far too long to unbundle it and I can't imagine the remaining spammers will be willing to splash actual cash for it.

1. Genedonraadt

Which app were tou refferending hee, all of them or just BBM?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

In other news

Apple is opening up the AppleTalk protocol, and Google has opened sourced the 1998 version of PageRank.

4. J27 Bronze badge

Yeah...

BBM? What is this 2004?

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Yeah...

Cared to read to the end ?

"Because BlackBerry doesn't monetise data, the service won't ask for a phone number, suggest contacts to users, nor does it desire to know where users are messaging from, or what is being shared."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020