back to article Intel swallows Brit chip slinger Omnitek in bid to boost FPGA business

Intel is buying Omnitek, a small British FPGA design house primarily serving the media and broadcast industries. The financial details of the arrangement have not been disclosed. In the past 20 years, Omnitek has developed more than 220 FPGA cores, along with software used for things like video transcoding – normally a very …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Tech is dead

Will the last UK tech firm please turn the lights off

2. devTrail

Anti trust

Isn't it something that should be carefully evaluated by the anti trust?

We got to the point that big corporations don't have a lot of competition because they don't allow competitors to grow.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software only

I was told the future is software-only running on commodity x86. Funny, suddenly FPGAs are back with a vengeance and those two things are mutually exclusive. I wonder when will Gartner catch up. Probably when they stop snorting blow.

4. a_mu

Omnitek used to have great IP , Pitty all those using their IP on Xilinx parts,

5. richdin

TAM goes with SAM (served available market)... as in "the TAM is $8B, but we are targeting this little niche - where we have 95% market share of $100k"

6. prismatics

I am wondering whether they have learned anything from the Altera acquisition. Or any recent acqusition in the last decade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like