back to article Hole lotta crud: Chinese stock photo pusher tries to claim copyright on Event Horizon pic

China's largest stock photo flinger has been forced to backtrack after it tried to put its own price tags on images of the first black hole and the Chinese flag. Visual China Group reportedly tried to hawk out the first-ever image of a supermassive black hole and its shadow, which was the painstaking work of boffins running …

1. Mark 85

Color me surprised.

Given the blatancy of Chinese intellectual theft by claiming only Chinese citizens can copyright or patent, this is an unreal admission.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Color me surprised.

This is little different to the US's "prior art" patent ruling that only "prior art" in the US counts as "prior art".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

This is little different to the US's "prior art" patent ruling that only "prior art" in the US counts as "prior art".

It's not that long ago the US had a slightly different view on copyrights and patents. Charles Dickens had an especially poor opinion of the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Also Kipling, who was especially contemptuous of British authors who caved to American blackmail.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you miss the "Distribution deals with Getty Images"?

Pretty sure they got the IP for the Getty business model as part of the deal.

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

Is this the flag they want to claim copyright on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What a pity the CC licences don't include a clause forbidding any use of material by anyone who has made a false claim on it.

4. Menasco
    Meh

"China apologised and said that it would "learn from these lessons" and "seriously rectify" the problem"

How does one "seriously" rectify something , crivens tojo , prepare for a reverse bias situation , in china NO-ONE is allowed to post as "AC" . Welsh semiconducter giant Lord Dai Ode is currently considering sending his two daughters Cath and Ann to help smooth things out IN 4001 easy moves ( a tiny ripple of applause will do nicely thanks ) , ahem.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Cath and Ann

I had a threesome with those two. It went off with a bang.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cath and Ann

Would that be a tri-ode then?

ECC83? That's a double threesome, which could be really interesting....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll volt for you in the electron.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

If Lord Dai Ode is getting involved I can only see this ending one way...

5. JJKing
    Devil

They are the icon.

Is there anything those commie bastards won't steal? IP, black hole image, South China Sea.........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They are the icon.

Is there anything those commie bastards won't steal?

A US presidency? As far as I can tell, they've kept well away from those sorts of politics, they leave that to the Russians.

Also, re. IP theft it is worth remembering that the US industry started with the exact same ignoring of IP rights. This is why, IMHO, IP spats between the two countries are pretty much pot/kettle affairs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: They are the icon.

'..As far as I can tell, they've kept well away from those sorts of politics, they leave that to the Russians.'

Search on the origins of the phrase 'divine manipulation of the threads.'

The Chinese have been playing these games for thousands of years, and can be a very subtle and patient people when they need to be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like