back to article Lazarus Group rises again from the digital grave with Hoplight malware for all

The Lazarus Group hacking operation, thought to be controlled by the North Korean government, has a new malware toy to pitch at potential targets and the US is getting worried about it. This according to a report from US-Cert, which say that the group (also known as "Hidden Cobra") has a new piece of spyware capable of …

1. veti Silver badge

Anyone remember when...

... the USA faced off against threats from the Soviet Union? Now it's worried about containing North Korea.

To put that in perspective: North Korea has a GDP of $12.4 billion. That's slightly smaller than Bristol (England), or in US terms it's less than the city budget of Washington, DC. That's right: Kim Jong-Un, even if he personally dictates how every one of his people spends every hour of their lives, still commands less resources than the mayor of Washington.

#MAGA indeed.

1. GrapeBunch

Re: Anyone remember when...

To paraphrase somebody's girlfriend: "It's not how great you are ..."

Or an old Indian proverb: "Malware is an ocean in which a gnat may drink, or an elephant may bathe."

2. Steve K
      Mushroom

Bristol City Council doesn't (yet) have nukes......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you been to Bristol, it doesn't need them. ;)

2. Nick Kew

Bristol City Council doesn't (yet) have nukes......

Are you sure? The building works that dominate the city as soon as you come out of Temple Meads[1] looked like a nuclear option when I was there last week!

[i] Bristol's main railway station.

3. GnuTzu

"...aimed at helping the isolated nation get cash into its coffers."

Then wouldn't the sanctions efforts also want to do everything possible to dis-empower this hacker group?

2. Chris G

I find it remarkable that a country that is as apparently as piss poor and as full of uneducated oppressed people as N Korea is able to produce nukes and malware that are good enough the worry the US. Instead of isolating them and sanctioning their economy, they should be welcomed into the fold and their best researchers employed by the West.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Proxy

NK is proxy for the worst of China. Like a test tube for total power over people testing. If China wasn't helping KJU, they would be part of SK by now and the people living a better life.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

... but rather financial crime aimed at helping the isolated nation get cash into its coffers.

So North Korea is just poking around the globe , smashing windows and grabbing the jewels?

Like a highwayman?

Its got a kind of "harmless fun" vibe , compared to other international espionage and willy waving exercises , of which of course NK does a fair bit of that too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disinformation

Reg - why are you still spreading this lie "Lazarus/Hidden Cobra was also famously credited with pulling off the high-profile 2014 attack on Sony Pictures."

It was shown that ALL of the Norse corp was fabricated: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/01/sources-security-firm-norse-corp-imploding/

I am all for blaming and prosecuting NK for the wrong they do, but it looks bad for a news source to repeat lies for advertising hits, while there is plenty or real news to report.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Disinformation

I wish people would read stories before linking to them.

You are aware that the story you link to strongly suggests that it was the North Koreans who hacked Sony?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

On a more serious/realistic note, is there a way to isolate them from the rest of the 'net? Simply disallow connections of any kind that are from/passing through NK?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like