back to article Yahoo! tries! again! with! 3 billion! email! account! theft! payout!

The remnants of internet giant Yahoo! are once again in court with hopes of settling the case over their massive 2013 hack that saw every single one of its three billion email accounts pwned. The company, once known as Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web, has submitted a revised settlement package [PDF] to Judge Lucy …

1. JassMan
    Joke

I wonder...

if Yahoo! will be buying shares in the credit monitoring companies in an attempt to get some of their money back.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you have any idea how many years of free credit monitoring I have accumulated already???????? What a farce.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Only good if you can bank the free years and use them consecutively.

I wonder how many of the 2013 hack victims are relieved that they are going to get a free year of credit monitoring 6 years after the fact?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Nice one for the credit monitoring agency. They not only get a nice wodge of cash, they also get to slurp 196m more people's data.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>They not only get a nice wodge of cash, they also get to slurp 196m more people's data.

24 months later "Shock at Credit Monitoring Company Data Breach"

And off we go around in circles again.

4. Mark 85

The catch will be proving that one had a Yahoo email account. I know a lot of folks including myself that had one just using on websites, a throw away account. Others used them and after things went to hell where their account has it's password changed by the bad guys, went to another service.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I got this twice.

The BT that used Yahoo for their emails. Had an account twice locked out of/stolen. Managed to recover it at some point, for it to just magically disappear again.

So fat chance of me proving anything.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And in the rest of the world?

How would somebody in, say, the UK go about getting any kind of compensation for this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And in the rest of the world?

That's why you should try not to depend on any service that doesn't have a legal presence in your own country.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So how was Israel included in this legal action? At least this proves Unit 8200 definitely had no involvement.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only companies I trust less than Yahoo! ...

are the f-ing Credit Monitoring companies!

Experian?

Equifax?

(Oh, and Facebook and Google of course)

7. x 7

Do BTInternet customers get this as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would assume.

As it's BT, they get the privilege of being hacked again at some point.

8. GX5000
    Facepalm

(don't) Blame Canada

All of Rogers accounts in Canada are on those servers...WTF?!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like