back to article UK watchdog reveals naughty list of which companies haven't paid data protection fees

Cloud data biz NetApp, pizza purveyor Prezzo and the UK arm of games developer Ubisoft have been named among a list of firms that haven't paid data protection fees to the UK's overstretched watchdog. Since May, data controllers – organisations that define how and why personal data is processed – have been required to pay …

1. tfewster
    Facepalm

Government by the Freemium model

It's odd that the ICO is funded directly rather than through the treasury - That may explain why the letters have been ignored. If I received a letter entitled "Data Protection Fee" (Nice database you got there - be a shame if something happened to it), I'd be inclined to bin it or report it to the police.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Government by the Freemium model

OTOH if they're in the PII handling business they should recognise a letter from the ICO when they see it. If they don't then a fine for non-registration might be the least of their worries. It's nice of them to flag themselves up for closer attention from the ICO.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"OTOH if they're in the PII handling business"

That's pretty much every business, even if it's "just" employee records.

2. gnarlymarley

I'd be inclined to bin it or report it to the police.

oddly enough, they had movies and TV series in the USA about avoiding this kind of extortion back in the 1980s..... Hmmmm, £40 with a limit maximum of £400, for less than 10 people sure sounds like it is a £40 per employee per year thing. At that price, I would expect the ICO office providing me with something in exchange such as a free "get out of jail" card for my first being hacked offense.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought it was a scam

Letter looks like a scam and no return address, a name with no ICO address only an expensive telephone number, this should be a free number.

Too much info (email & phone number) is being requested with the lame excuse of they may need to phone you, data minimisation principle I think not.

Exemptions form is not secure and only gets a B on the Qualys site due to poor and weak security Protocols.

You are unable to execute the form if you don't input email and phone number, thought of putting Company house email and number in.

Is it not possible to roll all this up into the Legal requirement for Annual Company House return (no email or phone number required)?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021