back to article Analysts get hot under collar as ex-Oracle cloud guru ditches corporate wardrobe for Google

Google's new cloud chief, Thomas Kurian, has talked up plans to win enterprise customers by expanding his sales team, boosting its dealings with other businesses to shift kit and taking a "sympathetic" approach to legacy tech. The former Oracle man, who moved to Google Cloud in November, was speaking yesterday at an analyst …

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Make better software

"Google's new cloud chief, Thomas Kurian, has talked up plans to win enterprise customers by expanding his sales team"

That is the only way Google can get more enterprise customers. Make an offline version of GSuite that is more powerful. That is the problem. It just looks like a cheap version of Office 365 and only aimed at small business'. One of the most annoying issues of Google Docs was not being able to interchange page orientation within a document which you can with Word, however Word Online suffers the same issue.

Everything about GSuite always felt basic. Want to use something like Powershell to manage GSuite? You can't. It appeared to be an after thought so they created GAM, well Jay Lee did. I believe he created it before he joined Google, but I could be wrong.

Although useful, the WIKI wasn't regularly updated so some of the commands at some point, would appear broken, all because the guides hadn't been update. And it had one flaw I pointed out years ago which, last time I checked in 2017 was never fixed. You'd setup GAM to allow your account to admin GSuite. It would download keys to your device and you'd run it from that folder. However, there was no authentication after you'd set it up. So, as I proved several times at work and with my own test GSuite setup, all you had to do was steal/copy someones GAM folder and away you go. You had full admin access to GSuite without requiring a users name and password.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Make better software

I couldn't think of anything more likely to put me off a product than knowing it's run by staff that were from Oracle. Well other than it being owned by Google of course.

I really cant see how Google are going to grow market share except by going in at the bottom and making a loss.

AWS are the large and capable incumbent but Microsoft have a significant integration and usability advantage for enterprises, and O365 is the best option in that space on the market for most. Google - why would you other than price?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This explains a lot

"empathy, sympathy, legacy"

So Oracles lost the only person they had who had empathy and sympathy? That would explain a lot of their actions over the last few months...

1. Julz Silver badge

Re: This explains a lot

Not really Big Red's set of core values. Little wonder they left.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TK was famous for his unique brand of empathy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"his unique brand of empathy" is a wonderful way to put it.

3. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Devil

Any excuse...

"Customer empathy, you have to understand where they are"

Shouldn't be difficult with the amount of data Google slurps...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We do all of our development and production deployments on cloud servers - we closed and sold our data centre three years ago.

After being burned numerous times by Google deciding to EOL key software and hardware offerings, we will not be using Google Cloud, nor will we recommend that any of our customers use it. They are not a reliable or honest company to deal with.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, I can't say that he's wrong about what he's saying so far. Google sucks at convincing established businesses. They think customer relations is a dirty word, and they prefer to create ideal solutions from a green field, because that's how they've done everything themselves.

Execution is a different matter, though. That I understand, Kurian did not exactly make his reports happy at Oracle, or the cloud business successful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020