back to article Get the smell out of here! Gaming tournament bans players who raise a literal stink

Competitive YuGiOh players have been given a literal breath of fresh air, thanks to new rules mandating anyone in a competitive game not reek. The latest edition of official tournament rules for the anime-based trading card game includes a new subsection addressing basic hygiene as part of tournament guidelines. "You are …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I'm surprised it's not more widespread (and still newsworthy)

I remember once finding myself in the gaming room upstairs from a game store, on a night out. I think we'd gone to collect the husband of one of the women in the group. The rules posted at the entry were one long list of stereotypes, from personal hygeine to respecting women.

This is, of course not exclusive to nerd culture. We have to treat our footballers like children and send them to "respecting women" classes too.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: I'm surprised it's not more widespread (and still newsworthy)

I'm thinking that next up those classes will be politicians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Similar rules need to be applied to the staff at our local "Games Workshop" store. I was enjoying a Full English at the local cafe when a bunch of the staff and what I assume are some if their customers or friends sat down at the next table. I recognised them from regularly wandering past the shop on my way home from work and seeing the same group having evening gaming sessions. They reeked. The stale smell of BO, dirty clothes and virginity. The acne and neck beards were putting me off my food as well.

1. Commswonk

They reeked. The stale smell of BO, dirty clothes and virginity. The acne and neck beards were putting me off my food as well.

Can we have a "do not read just before or after eating" icon please?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Your post has a bad smell too....

1. MrDamage Silver badge

buggerem, buggerit, millennium hand and shrimp

That's because some of the gamers take their role as Nurglites seriously, and develop a stench Foul Ol' Ron would be envious of.

3. Kane

"The stale smell of BO, dirty clothes and virginity."

There you go with the disparaging comments about virgins again!

The man doth protest too much, methinks!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This reminded me of the "sad man posing with ass cracks" at a MtG tournament:

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/202wd3/i_participated_in_one_of_the_biggest_magic_the/

4. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Dont forget to

add toilet training to the list of activities

<<<shudders at the thought of the thing that took a dump in the showers at a LAN in newbury race course......

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: Dont forget to

A considerate shower user always takes care to waffle-stomp.

2. Noram
      Coat

Re: Dont forget to

Oh god

I still have nightmares about the toilets at the early I series events, "highlights" included what appeared to be excrement in the sink, up the walls of the stalls, on the seats....

It amazes me how many people simply don't appear to care about what they're doing, or the effect they have on others in regards to basic hygiene.

Mine's the biohazard one with with the gas mask and rubber gloves in the pocket >

5. Lit_Reflex

I have been there

I once was looking into an odd storefront in a nearby city and it was a gaming lounge. There was a large room in the back full of kids playing World of Warcraft and whatnot.

The only problem is it reeked in there like dirty socks. There was this place called Discovery Zone which was basically a gigantic Chuck E Cheese type playground with two stories of tubes and tunnels and balls to jump into and whatnot. It was a kid's dream come true.

Unfortunately, after a period it began to reek overwhelmingly of dirty socks.

This is the same smell happening in these gaming lounges and something needs to be done because you couldn't pay me to spend more than about 5 minutes inside a place like this.

1. Stevie

Re: I have been there

Ah, the sick, gangrenous stink of de feet.

6. Ribfeast

Guess they thought Hygeine was a tall woman!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheesy Puff fingers OK?

Asking for a friend....

8. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

Send them this . . .

. . . guide to con hygiene.

9. MarthaFarqhar

I remember going to Games Workshop in my youth, and I always wondered why the army didn't weaponize the stench from some of the customers. Definitely an area effect weapon up to 30m range, 2D4+20 damage for 6 rounds with Save against Poison 18 or above.

10. Petrea Mitchell
    Thumb Up

For places that still need this rule...

...Dork Tower has a poster for you.

( http://www.dorktower.com/2006/07/10/comics-archive-806/ , also previous and following comics)

11. Petrea Mitchell
    Thumb Up

For places that still need this rule...

...here's the handy poster.

( http://www.dorktower.com/2006/07/10/comics-archive-806/ , see also previous and following comics)

12. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Pirate

"Convention Funk" was in itself a definite character in basically any anime/games/trading cards convention I've attended. Can't say I'll regret its demise.

13. Kiwi

I much dislike BO but.....

I've never known a person to have an allergic reaction to BO (unless you consider vomiting/retching as such)

I do however know people who have had allergic reactions to perfumes and deodorants.

Someone once sprayed some on a friend of mine as a joke. Some clueless twit who didn't know why he didn't wear such things. He'd been working hard all day during summer, was a bit sweaty but still.. Didn't need to end his day in the ER.

I know many people who think a good dose of the deo is a suitable substitute for a shower as well. They tend to stink both of too much BO and too much deo :(

14. Stevie

Bah!

Some years ago I walked into the Javits Lecture Theater complex in Stonybrook's SUNY campus late one spring night in order to get on line for a Harlan Ellison signing, and although the whole place had been closed down, completely refurbished and re-opened only a few weeks before, I was smacked in the face by the stench of feet.

So many young women. So many young men who will never get to meet them up close for want of ten minutes grooming.

Gah!

Burl Ives has a great line in The Big Country: "So, the schoolteacher's sweet on ya, hey? Treat her right. Take a bath sometime." Words to live by.

15. Ubermik

I still think the BIGGEST stink so far is them booting out people for supporting Nepal and Taiwan's independence by a country mile in gaming tournaments which barely ANY tech publications have the plums to even talk about...…..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like