back to article Google pholds! Just kidding. But Android Q Beta 2 drop supports those cool bendy mobes

Google has added some cosmetic changes to the second beta of this year's version of Android to go with the plumbing it introduced in the first beta. Android Q Beta 2 introduces a basic interprocess communication (IPC) UI that platforms, including Google itself, have toyed with. Last year Google called them "slices", but now …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Trollface

AI API

Andrew, given how much you love the use AI across Android devices I'm surprised that you didn't give the new APIs a mention! ;-)

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Forget the hand movements

Why has he not taken his flat cap and coat off inside? Most rude.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Forget the hand movements

And did I detect a pony tail for maximum hipness?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Usual horseshit

"Android Q has also rushed in support for foldable phones, which is important to keep developers from getting too dependent on Samsung and Huawei APIs, resulting in further fragmentation"

I can't believe idiots are still mentioning (and falling for) the fragmentation horseshit in 2019. As usual, this idiot doesn't back up any of his claims of rushed in support, with any supporting citation...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Usual horseshit

What would you call two or more different APIs which do the same thing?

1. jmch Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Yep. Although what struck me most isn't so much the fragmentation as the statement that phones of (X size, Y folded size) are supported. Android supports all 'flat' screen sizes, they don't need to be specifically listed and there isn't any customisation needed to support a 4.5" phone vs a 6.5" one. So surely for the foldable screen, what should be supported is the different types of folding (in/out, external screen switch if fold in, fold along long/short axis).

The article seems to imply that folding support is only for teh specific sizes of Samsung and Xiaomi's foldies, but that doesn't make too much sense to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

DPI/pixel maps. Sadly, these still restrict sizes of GUI/DPI/resolution in most instances. iOS was doing 2 or 3 bit map passes per app last time I looked (long ago) and had ram size restrictions etc for how big a (for example) sprite sheet you could load up.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Stop

If you could be bothered to watch the video you might understand what's meant. Whenever a manufacturer introduces a feature that is not provided by the OS, developers must follow the manufacturers API. Both Samsung and Huawei allow multiple app windows on their devices and for developers to take advantage of this in their own apps, they may have to work with different APIs. The speed with which the change has gone into Q suggests that this isn't rocket science and was also presumably done in conjunction with the manufacturers (means they have less of their own code to maintain, document and support).

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

LG made the first Android phones that could playback 24bit 193khz audio files natively, and they then gave that work to the AOSP. Similarly, Sony have given their LDAC Bluetooth codec to the AOSP, though I don't know if can be used by 3rd party headphone vendors without licence.

4. Barry Rueger

Please, no!

I am utterly fed up with things popping up every five minutes in Android, none of which I want, and most of which can't be permanently disabled.

1. Tigra 07
      Paris Hilton

Re: Please, no!

Most things that pop up can be disabled. Have you tried disabling notifications for said apps, or changing the settings of the parent app?

Paris because of references to things popping up.

1. Barry Rueger

Re: Please, no!

I'm currently stuck on Android 6, and disabling notifications selectively sends me into a warren of setting menus in many places. Or the stupider apps turn them back on if updated. And of course what I really want to stop are the endless Google Assistant nags.

In theory the type and timing of notifications can be fine tuned. In practice life is far too short.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

'Focusable' microphones

Also in the beta. Ability to choose which mics to use, eg rear facing mic when recording video, front facing mic when taking voice memo.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: 'Focusable' microphones

Does that mean we can look forward to the end of the youth holding their phones like slice of pizza while wondering round outside?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: 'Focusable' microphones

No.That is due to microphone placement. Both could still end up on edge due to form over function designs... that also fail in the form category.

6. Ali on the Reg

Bendy phones

Not cool, stupid fad with obvious engineering problems that will become evident over the coming months

1. BrixtonChris

Re: Bendy phones

....and resolved in the following months/years, assuming that the public has an appetite for bendy phones

1. Ali on the Reg

Phones that costs 2/3 more, are 1 3/4 as fat and have 1/2 the battery life, a crease down the screen and scratches easily (in the 'outie' form factor). I can't see them catching on but will watch with interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
          IT Angle

Is the exact argument made for smart phones. Yes, it took around 20 years to get it right, but they did (battery vs processing vs screen vs internet coverage+speed, etc etc).

Thing is, everyone is expecting these folding phones to work day one. When in reality, it's investing in the early adopters, fashionable and easy marks for paying for the next 20 years of development before we get a "good enough" or "amazing" folding solution.

2. Richtea

Double the viewable area is extremely useful. A magnitude more useful than wireless charging and wireless buds, just to pick a couple of easy targets.

It's merely time before they're standard on 'average' phones - several years, admittedly.

7. digitalwolf

Good One

Nice explanation about the new features. Waiting for Android Q

8. Happy_Jack

Thanks El Reg for the fake news. You are now dead to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021