back to article Take a deep breath: AWS has just rolled out cheaper instances, glacier-slow storage, and AI container tools

Amazon devs and users are gathering in Silicon Valley as Amazon Web Services hosts its AWS Santa Clara Summit '19 on Wednesday and the former book vendor used the event to announce a veritable cornucopia of new stuff. At the show the cloudy side of Amazon announced the availability of block storage-infused AMD-based M5ad and …

1. Jim Mitchell
    Joke

"Glacier Deep Archive" GLDA? Come on Amazon. GLAD was so close....

1. IceC0ld Silver badge

Take a Deep Breath

Could have been SO much worse ..................

or better, depending on which side of the coin you look at :oP

could have got

T - his

I - s

T - he

S - lowest

U - seful

P - igeonhole

1. Gannet

Re: Take a Deep Breath

Or seeing as it's the hole all of your S3 data ends up in after passing through the glacier...

C - an't

R - apidly

E - xtract

V - ast

A - mounts

S - imple

S - torage

E - ntities

2. Vinyl-Junkie

How about..

GLacier

Archive

Deep

Storage

?

1. Ragarath

Re: How about..

I came to post a G.L.A.D.O.S acronym of my own but instead I'll upvote yours!

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Megaphone

"There is always an idiot who clicks that link"

God yes, I've had so many colleagues that did. Including one that had been explicitly told not to but did anyway "to see what happened". The only thing more dangerous than an idiot is a curious idiot.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: "There is always an idiot who clicks that link"

The real problem is that it's not just idiots. Here Vogel is compounding the issue, not addressing it.

Cory Doctorow wrote a famous blog post about how he got phished, with a well-designed pop-up that happened to arrive when he was busy and distracted. Similar things have happened to plenty of smart, educated users.

Constant vigilance is impossible. User education is important, but it will never fix the problem. For that we need better authentication technology deployed everywhere, including better mechanisms to make it harder to spoof.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020