back to article Ubuntu 14.04 LTS media released with APT fix as end of support nears

Canonical has made good on its promise to keep on patching the venerable 14.04 Long Term Support (LTS) version of the Ubuntu operating system as it emitted updated installation media. damaged box Heads up: Debian's package manager is APT for root-level malware injection... Fix out now to thwart MITM hijacks READ MORE 14.04, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks, but no thanks ...

However, having run Mint since .... 16 something, I'm very happy with it.

Unity was a step too far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks, but no thanks ...

So what are you going to do when the Mint 17 LTS versions also go out of support next month (unsurprisingly since they're built on Ubuntu Trusty)?

2. Phil Lord

Unity has gone. Complain about something relevant!

1. Peter X

As jarring as Unity was when it landed (not working very well and all), the shift to Gnome is far worse; I really do find myself missing unity now. :(

1. Maventi

Agree - the first Unity versions were pretty rough but they really polished it up by the time Trusty came along. Gnome is just frustrating by comparison.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

You do realise that you could replace Unity from the packages in the repos. for something like lxde, kde, Gnome, or even Gnome fall/failback, the latter of which makes the system look quite a lot like Gnome 2 (although the plugin apps need re-writing).

There is even Cinnamon and Mate in the repos, and probably a lot of others that are either ancient or not in the mainstream.

I never liked Unity, but I found a way around using Ubuntu without having to use Unity.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

When I leave Mint 18, I'll just find another KDE.

Opensuse I hope, if I get a new computer --- this now has difficulty with that --- ( but their last few iterations have been very dark and miserable-looking ).

1. davenewman

Find another KDE? Kubuntu has always been around, no need to bother about Unity or Gnome.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Problem with ESM

I have no problem with the idea of paying to get continued support for the machines I know of using 12.04 and 14.04 but the problem with Canonical is you have to buy between $2.5k (10 pack VMs) to $7.5k worth per year (50 pack desktops) depending on the combination of minimum budget and minimum number of machines of specific types, etc.

So basically if you have only a few machines it is stupidly expensive!

1. Pomgolian

Re: Problem with ESM

Absolutely. The $750 per server is doable, but the minimum charge or $2,500 isn't. They're shooting themselves in the foot with that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Problem with ESM

How on earth have you got yourself into this position?

Normally this sort of nonsense needs keywords like "ActiveX" or "Oracle Forms".

4. Bill Gray
    Black Helicopters

Suddenly, it all makes sense!

"14.04, aka Trusty Tahr, was released back in 2014. A time before Brexit, Trump..."

Are you suggesting a cause-and-effect relationship?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like