back to article What's the frequency, KeNNeth? Neural nets trained to tune in on radar signals to boost future mobe broadband

Neural networks have proven surprisingly adept at detecting radar signals – and could help the US Navy and civilian mobile networks better share their overlapping radio spectrum. The 3.5GHz frequency band, also known as the Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) stretches between 3550 and 3700 MHz. In 2015, America's comms …

1. Nifty Silver badge

"CNN scored 0.097, and the traditional energy detectors reached 0.084. A perfect classifier has a score of 1.000"

Come again?

1. Freddellmeister

Yes, this sounds weird, up from 8.4% to 9.7% ? That is more than almost useless.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

In fact, if there are more false negative, it's worst

2. Kubla Cant

So "traditional energy detectors" are utterly crap, and CNN is very slightly less crap.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As per the (corrected?) article, 0.997 versus 0.884, so it's quite a bit better than that. I discovered that from the source IEEE article.

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Accuracies

Oops - editing in the US evening in time for the UK morning, and this happens as brains were tired. That should be 0.97 (and ideal is 1.00). Too many zeroes. It's fixed.

C.

2. Mage Silver badge

These energy detectors are not discriminating enough

The solution isn't better detectors, or so called AI and Neural Networks.

The fact is that it's an abrogation of duty on spectrum management to allow two incompatible services to share the same spectrum. This is like so called "white space radio". The problem was identified mathematically decades ago. There are regulatory solutions, not technical ones. See "hidden transmitter syndrome"

FCC are the problem.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: These energy detectors are not discriminating enough

I cannot upvote this comment enough!

2. devTrail

Just FCC? Who decided to come up with 4G when 3G wasn't fully implemented? Who decided to push 5G so early? Why replace 4G equipment that has been running just for a short time and why upgrading over and over again the equipments in the same spots while the rest of the areas deemed commercially uninteresting are still served by ages old cells?

Telecoms keeps investing only in the main cities, at the same time complaining about investment costs and neglecting rural areas, landlines and broadband cables. But they still want more access to the frequency spectrum increasing their share of a limited resource over and over again.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Flame

Re: Just FCC?

Ultimately the Mobile companies have licences with conditions, power, band etc decided by the Regulator. FCC in USA.

Ofcom (UK) and Comreg (Ireland) are not concerned with protecting spectrum or consumers. Everything is driven by the desire to please Mobile operators. Because the licences and annual payments are a massive income for the Treasury. Ofcom even campaigned AGAINST EU Roaming charge abolishment.

FCC tried to licence satellite frequencies to a Mobile operator.

The regulators set too light conditions of coverage and performance to make licences more attractive. Also many specify POPULATION % and not Geographic %, which is much cheaper for operators, sounds good but is terrible for consumers that most need mobile.

3. ma1010
      Go

Well, the FCC are a problem in lots of ways, that's for sure, and DON'T get me started on Pai...

However, I can't agree with you that different services can never share the same spectrum. I'm a ham operator, and pretty much forever we've shared the 40 meter band with shortwave stations all over the world. Those are in decline in these days of the Internet, but we used to hear them all the time, especially at night. You just move to a different frequency and continue. Or maybe switch the radio from SSB to AM mode and listen as some of them were interesting. There are other situations where spectrum is shared, and I haven't heard that there have been a lot of problems.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why don't they just geolock it

Towers are only allowed to support that band if they are locked more than 20 miles from the coast. Pretty sure there are no Navy ships to interfere with where I live in the midwest!

1. Chairman of the Bored

Re: Why don't they just geolock it

@DougS,

Believe it or not there was a Navy AN/SPY-1A array smack dab in the midwest for years. The navy gave an obsolete radar to NOAA's severe storms lab, which investigated its phased array tech for tornado forecast\ track. I seem to recall the experiment went extremely well, and that NOAA would love to eventually go to something. SPY-1-like.

Their budget is nowhere near adequate though. I think we are still trying to plug holes in WSR-88D coverage, and have been trying to build that system out since the 80's...

4. ma1010

AI

Maybe it's just me, but this strikes me as one of the very few actual, practical and beneficial uses of so-called "AI" that I've seen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like