back to article NASA pops titanium tea cosy over Martian InSight probe instrument

NASA’s InSight lander has been revamped to let scientists study the interior of Mars for the first time. The lander’s seismometer was carefully placed on the surface of the Red Planet in December last year, and has now been enclosed in a metallic dome. The cap acts as a shield protecting the sensitive Seismic Experiment for …

1. hititzombisi

Tea cosy hat

I bet a Nasa scientist already tried it as a hat.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: Tea cosy hat

Nope not a NASA scientist, but definitely a CNES scientist...

(SEIS is a french instrument)

1. STOP_FORTH
        Happy

They don't drink tea in France (or America)

1. cray74

> They don't drink tea in France (or America)

My US employer's on-site mini-convenience store has a dozen different types of tea bags available, and the cafeteria serves 8 different flavors of sweet and unsweet teas. Since any size cup of tea is $1.00 I often avail myself of the 32oz/1-liter cups. That's enough calorie-free caffeine to get me started in the morning.

2. Uffish

Re: tea in France (or America)

It's tea STOP_FORTH, just not as we know it.

3. Jim Mitchell

If we didn't drink tea in America, we couldn't have had that little Boston Tea Party, could we?

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

They do, it is " a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

2. Captain Scarlet
      Alien

The Mysterons are infuriated we didn't invite them to the tea party, they plan to exact revenge by not inviting us to their BBQ

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a colander

A closet pastafarian managed to erect the first church for the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) on the Mars.

1. Steve K

Re: This is a colander

No - it's actually one of the "Smash" commercial Martians hiding (not very well) in the sand...

3. Alistair
    Windows

A little dome away from home?

Considering the external appearance is so similar to a sports stadium I'm wondering if this was a shot at the stuperbowl.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

A small dedication to my former collegues who worked for several years on SEIS to find innovative solutions for thermal control. Well done chaps! You can see now the result of your work in action.

5. Killing Time

Topple over?

'The shape is aerodynamic to ensure any passing wind presses the instrument towards the planet's surface so it won't topple over.'

I was under the impression the density of the atmosphere was so low that despite potentially high velocity it's force would be pretty negligible. I would have thought the winds cooling effect would have been a greater issue.

You could put a wider base on the instrument to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible but hey, what do I know, an aerodynamic dome shape works for all eventualities and they are the boffins after all...

6. x 7

Is it heat-resistant enough to withstand a blast from a rock snake?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rock Snakes (for others)

https://thunderbirds.fandom.com/wiki/Rock_Snakes

7. TrumpSlurp the Troll

That just about

Puts the tin hat on it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like