back to article Salesforce has named a chief ethics officer and yes, the job description is appropriately woolly

Mega-bucks CRM titan Salesforce has appointed a loftily titled "chief ethical and humane use officer" to counteract the problems of being a tech giant in 2019. The firm has been putting the hard sell on its ethical credentials of late, confirming plans for an office for ethical and humane tech in the summer. Woman looking …

1. JohnFen

I want that job!

If all I'd have to do is "engage" rather than be on the hook for producing some sort of actual result, that would be one of the cushiest jobs ever.

1. BillG
      Meh

"Chief Ethical and Humane Use Officer"

Makes me remember when my neighbor had to put down his elderly hound, the use of euthanasia on the dog was called "humane ".

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: "Chief Ethical and Humane Use Officer"

It is "funny", it is inhumane to let an animal suffer, yet it is illegal in most countries to not let a human suffer under the same conditions and put them out of their misery, even if they are begging to be freed from the agony.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So Salesforce is making itself look good

A bit of glitter for the season, it fits.

The lady has a PhD, and has already held CxO positions, so there's not much to complain about yet. The real question in my mind is : is this ethical thing just lipstick or is Salesforce actually committing to something and, if yes, what ?

It's not like Salesforce allows customer details to be displayed publicly, so what is the direction that this thing is supposed to take ?

I mean, Salesforce is in relation with Uber, so what is Mrs Goldman going to do about that ?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jay Lenovo

An ethics officer? Kind of like a well paid military chaplain in the great silicon war.

See, Big Tech does have a consciousness. They just hired someone to act as one.

If one person can administer these goals, they should proceed to hire a Chief Greatness Officer and VP of Good Ideas next.

5. Teiwaz

It'll work better in the future

When these types of candidates are routinely (at first hired, then later acquired by fair means or foul) and plugged cerebrially into the the corporate A.I. in order to periodically balance it and pull it back from full on evil overlord.

And later dumped complete with dirty mac and shopping trolley on a city street or handed over to the nearest centre right political party, all goodness and intelligence sucked out.

6. Hollerithevo

So...

...she thinks good thoughts, so the rest of Salesforce don't have to?

If you want an ethical and decent company, um, hire ethical and decent human beings, especially in the C-suite. Is this possible? On the evidence, not really.

7. oldtaku Silver badge
    Joke

A problem of ethics

'Gentlemen,our biggest ethics problem is that we're Salesforce'

( 'But at least we're not Facebook' )

8. Dwarf

Ethics

Can it ever be ethical to try and force a sale ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's a misparse

It should be read "Sales for CE", the omnipresent Conformité Européenne mark that reassures you that the lowest bidder applied only the most rigorous of self-certifications. Probably under the watchful gaze of their Chief Ethics Officer...

9. Anonymous IV

Have Salesforce management been watching W1A?

... especially the aptly-titled BBC Head of Values...

10. Aodhhan

How Left Sided

They will appoint someone, who has no idea what it's like to be poor--or know first hand any hardship an individual may face.

Like most moronic decisions which lean to the left, they will side and promote any idea being touted by the loudest squeaky wheel... which of course, will be the whacked out media.

In short, it's just a round-about way of still selling out. You're just ensuring you have more options and choices while doing so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like