back to article Big Q. Tch, what could have persuaded Intel to bring forward 5G chip production six months?

It looks as though Apple's iThings may get 5G connectivity in 2020 – after Intel promised production of its 5G modem will start in the second half of 2019, and ship in the first half of the following year. This, therefore, gives Apple, which prefers Intel cellular modems for its latest iPhones, a decent design-in time for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This assumes their 10nm process is ready by then

The XMM8xxxx series is supposed to be made on Intel's 10nm process. Given Intel's repeated delays with 10nm, and rumors they have scrapped it altogether and are skipping to 7nm down the road, Apple better have a backup plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This assumes their 10nm process is ready by then

My understanding of the10nm issues is around yields - the process introduces too many defects to reliably produce big chips.

Given that and the US$10b+ fab cost, high volume radios may give them time/revenue until Intel have a viable 7nm competitor.

2. Spazturtle

Re: This assumes their 10nm process is ready by then

Apparently they have semi-given up on meeting their original 10nm design spec, they have changed it so the feature size is larger and easier to make, so it is more like 12nm now. They should be able to begin manufacturing next year.

2. Wolfclaw

Lets hope they do a better job of it it unlike their cable modem Puma chipset !

3. Sykowasp

I'll believe this when I see it.

Just because there is demand for unicorns doesn't mean that they exist.

No silicon shown either - just photoshops. Qualcomm has been showing working silicon and working devices for many months now (remember Qualcomm put the non-5G modems on the main SoC so the lack of multimode is far less than Intel's claims).

To enable this product to occur, they need a working 10nm-ish process. It's a huge risk to make it on their own. Therefore I predict this is either 14nm Intel, or TSMC/Samsung 7nm.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vapourware

According to SemiAccurate (https://www.semiaccurate.com/2018/11/12/intel-tries-to-pretend-they-have-5g-silicon-with-the-xmm-8160/) "Intel ... have not shown a single chip yet, anywhere, to anyone, working or not, only photoshopped fakes accompanied by analyst praise".

Seems like they think the XMM 8160 is pure vapourware

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022