back to article DXC axes Americas boss amid latest deck chair musical

The boss of DXC Americas has been elbowed out of the door, an internal memo seen by The Register can confirm. The reason for his exit is believed to be a double-digit drop in the region's sales. Man throws briefcase in the air happily on the beach. Photo by Shutterstock DXC Tech CEO continues to wash away HPE old guard READ …

1. Scott 29

The answer to any workstation problem is ‘reimage’.

I don’t engage them for servers.

2. trevorde Silver badge

Bet he got a 'golden hello' *and* a 'golden parachute'. I could do that job ie turn up for a few months, realise it's CTD, and then 'leave to pursue other opportunities'.

1. Bernard

You might be surprised.

Taking the salary is a doddle.

Concocting and parroting the management drivel that failing giants pump out to mask the decline is hard on the soul, and it takes a certain kind of political resilience.

It’s a travesty that those skills are paid so well given they have no economic value but don’t underestimate how individually taxing they are.

3. James Anderson

Getting to rival Premier league"Managerial Long Service" time scales.

Although "Leroy Rosenior – Torquay (10 minutes, 2007)" is going to be hard to beat.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have come to the conclusion

that DXC is severely impacting my mental health. It is an absolute shitter to work for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have come to the conclusion

>> DXC is severely impacting my mental health

Fortunately I have never worked for them.

Unfortunately they are responsible for my pension.

2. Korev Silver badge

If that's the case then get out. No job is worth a break down...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm a recent escapee, (I'm not the AC above), and so glad I'm out now! Such a horrible company to work for.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Same here, I got out 6 months ago and never looked back.

I would advise any employee at DXC to get out now, it’s going nowhere but down.

3. Mayday
      Alert

I had a recruiter ring me about them a few months ago. Told her that it was on my no fly list of companies to work for.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I felt that way about Crapita.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you guys think that -15% is real? Seems like a big drop given the business model

6. DrobertsIT

Does anyone have the memo lawrie sent?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC cause reasons

A Message from Mike Lawrie

Today I am announcing that Karan Puri will be leaving DXC Technology at the end of this week. I know you will join me in wishing Karan well in his future endeavors.

Earlier today I met with the Americas leadership team and with the heads of DXC’s corporate functions to outline next steps. Together, we are committed to building on our foundation in the Americas and delivering a strong second half.

Our collective focus will be in four key areas:

1. Delivering value to clients and making our revenue and profitability targets for the year;

2. Installing a disciplined, accountable and results-oriented management system for the region;

3. Realizing the significant potential of the region’s industry-focused go-to-market strategy. With the reorganization completed, we are in a position to kick things into high gear; and

4. Continuing to position DXC with clients, prospects, partners and influencers as the digital transformation partner of choice.

Operating Model

Going forward, DXC’s senior leaders will take direct responsibility for the region’s key areas in Sales, as well as for the business functions, as outlined below.

Industries, Geographies and Key Accounts

Leaders for the region’s industries, geographies and key accounts will remain unchanged, and will report to either Jim Smith, executive vice president, Digital Transformation & Customer Advocacy, or Ed Ho, executive vice president and general manager, Offerings.

Jim and Ed will work closely together to drive increased sales, instill a common sales discipline and ensure that we are bringing innovative digital content to our client solutions. They will regularly hold joint operational reviews to ensure alignment across the industries, geographies and key accounts.

Reporting to Jim Smith:

• Aerospace & Defense, Roblyn Theodorou

• Travel & Transportation, Subroto Mukerji

• Energy & Utilities, Oil & Gas, Jai Venkat

• Insurance, Pankaj Kulkarni (interim)

• Consumer & Retail, Vijay Iyer

• UTC, Chris Donohue

• Zurich, Erik Wahab

• P&G, Leo Mendoza

Reporting to Ed Ho:

• Banking & Capital Markets, Ravi Davuluri

• State & Local, John McCabe

• Manufacturing & Auto, Ajay Kumar

• Healthcare & Life Sciences, Gurmeet Chahal

• Telco, Media & Entertainment, Technology, Sid Nair

• Southern Latin America & Brazil, Luciano Corsini

• Northern Latin America & Mexico, Enrique Garcia

• Canada, John McCabe (acting)

Partnerships

Terry Washington will report to Ed.

Bob McCormick will report to Jim.

Territory Sales

Michael Hamuka, territory client executive, will report to Brad Gifford.

Business Functions

Regional leaders across the business functions will continue to report to their respective managers at the corporate level.

• Matt Neisler, finance, will report to Paul Saleh, DXC’s chief financial officer.

• Stephen Singh, technology, will report to Dan Hushon, DXC’s chief technology officer.

• Jim Lefever, HR, will report to Jo Mason, DXC’s chief human resources officer.

• David Smith, head of operations, will report to Brad Gifford, head of Sales Operations.

• Mike Brito, legal, will report to Bill Deckelman, DXC’s general counsel.

• Andrew Greenwood, marketing & communications, will report to Jan Gladziejewski, head of regional marcom.

• Uday Kuruganty, iWFM, will report to Jo Mason.

• Greg Betz, regional account delivery, will report to Samson David, DXC’s acting head of delivery.

• Anand Srivastava, regional solution delivery, will report to Chris Thomas, head of Solutions & Commercial Functions.

Next Steps

In recent months, the Americas team has worked hard to reposition the business. Today the senior leadership team -- corporate and AMS -- stands committed to working shoulder-to-shoulder to bring new focus, agility and accountability to the business.

We will be keeping the lines of communication open throughout, and have scheduled an Americas Town Hall at noon ET this Thursday, Oct. 11 (look for a separate invitation with details). Jim Smith and Ed Ho will be joining me for this call.

In addition, watch your email, myDXC and the AMS group on DXC Workplace for continued information and conversation.

Thank you for your support.

-- Mike

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AC cause reasons

Thanks to AC for providing the complete message.

Fairly clear that Puri's departure wasn't exactly amicable...

The message is very 'business-like' and not really Lawrie's usual style - no 'journeys', no 'help customers thrive on change' etc.

It looks rather like they are rearranging the deck chairs with realising that the Titanic is still going to sink...

The markets don't like it - DXC shares down 15% today.

For this still there and able / willing to move on, there ARE better options out there; not perfect, but better.

2. Smoking Man

Leaving DXC and its magagement out of discussion for a small moment, I would just like to point out, that it's certainly not the brightest idea to post company internal data, names, and structures on a public discussion board. These are competitive information.

Such sort of data contains -at the end- company confidential data.

If you worked or still work for DXC, you signed a contract to keep such information for you.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"These are competitive information."

At a guess I'd say any competitor who wanted to know would have seen the memo before it was posted here and in any case it'll be out of date in a few weeks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Career damaging

"Sorry, they liked you but they're not taking anyone with DXC on their CV".

Agency response after 2nd round interview.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Career damaging

In the UK, USA, somewhere else?

I'm now recently ex DXC, and just started looking for a new job in the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just leave it off your CV and if they ask what the gap is, then tell them.

At least then you’ve got a face to face meeting to explain how you are just another victim of the DXC scam.

2. gbshore

Well jeez... how short sighted is that of the company looking to fill the position? So because someone in the trenches finds themselves working for DXC, they themselves are toxic because their management wreaks? That is absolutely absurd.... It’s one thing for senior management ... that would be valid.... but from a line worker??? Frankly , I wouldn’t want to work for the company who made that comment... they appear to be as bad as DXC leadership ...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just say you were in prison for that period

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Sorry, they liked you but they're not taking anyone with DXC on their CV"

With that sort of judgement in their recruiting you can probably count it as a lucky escape.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC royally fucked over HP Inc last week. We lost literally all of our systems, so if you opened a case on Friday or Saturday you might want to give a call and make sure it got entitled and the orders put in.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drop related to investors seeking value..

There is no secret about the turmoil on US stock market at present (and the global knock-on) I believe the share price drop is more related to investors being more clinical, not one individual incident regarding corporate management shuffles.

So given the turmoil, investors will look closer at a CEO, their past record of growth, the recent results and guidance for future when making decisions. The US markets corrected a little yesterday, correction means finding the right level based on value, DXC stock has found a new level!

The re-iteration of forward guidance yesterday is to remind holders of the dividend forecast, the announcement is aimed preventing a sell-off or worse speculative shorting! This company is coached, managed and executes far more succinctly in respect of it's investor guidance than its day to day operations, but I do not think it alone in that respect.

Good investors (investment/pension funds) are a colder than any corporate exec and will not be swayed by corporate dribble! The tough questions will be asked at the next investor relations day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Drop related to investors seeking value..

As much as I despise Mikey, from an investors point of view he has created massive growth in their holdings.

I'm sure nobody is so stupid as to believe its sustainable, but that's not how investors work - they are happy to ride it to the cliff edge and cash out.

That's also how Mikey described DXC on day 1 to investors - a 30% return of value - that's a euphemism for an asset strip.

The only piece that's missing from the "grand scheme" is what to do with the worthless carcass after all the good bits are gone. I'm sure a) he doesn't know and b) he'll be riding into the sunset long before it reaches the cliff edge just like the investors.

Welcome to post-economic growth wall street capitalism.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our experience of DXC is essentially they have a bunch of people that read off a script; anything off script and they will not help. Those scripts are often written by end users inside the business anyway.

What a business model. Pay us and then let your own staff (often not IT staff) do their job for you.

Considering that we have users everywhere unable to run basic office apps let alone big data or other glorious (non-)innovations of the 21st century it's safe to say the failure of DXC is not a surprise; the question it what else will it take down in the process.

1. Uberior

I don't have problems with people working from a script, if you plan the conversation correctly it's great for evidencing poor service or a reluctance to engage with the customer.

Just saying the words "For the benefit of the tape" and repeating back the "bad" version of what they've just said followed by "Is that correct?" is such fun.

Used it a few times in small claims court proceedings now.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly the problem here is 'staff numbers'

Since staff cost money, that impacts profit. The solution is clear - reduce staff count to zero for maximum profit!

13. RobertLongshaft

This is how DXC's model essentially works.

Company A is considering outsourcing technical talent to save money, DXC send in their A team, technically excellent, astute on service requirements and knowing every buzzword from here to Timbuktu.

Once the contract is agreed and the ink is dry, DXC's A team is off to another customers to bamboozle them with the fantastic offerings leaving what can only be described as the Indian PFY to come in and run the show.

The service you get once you've signed is slow, ponderous and incredibly expensive.

I can't imagine the hell of what working for that company must be like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

surviving quarterly layoffs, dealing with the fact that the sales team threw in support for a service at no (low) cost then refuse to provide adequate funds for that service. Sitting in meetings where you are told by separate departments to reduce headcount and then (same meeting) increase headcount. etc etc

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The A team bait and switch is so old hat now it's a wonder there's anyone left who doesn't know it yet. PT Barnum must have been right.

14. Andyenn

Ah the Schadenfreude... I can almost taste it.

I left DXC at the end of last year. I found a job 2 weeks later which was actually fun (yes, jobs can be fun).

I have not had a single threat of redundancy, a menacing townhall meeting, no edicts to rate myself out of a job, no appraisals that always end up in the same score, no struggling to cover multiple people's roles, nothing. Who knew that having a career could be like that?

My advice would to be to get on the next VR list, squeeze as much as you can out of them, and go. It doesn't matter what you end up doing - it will be better.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was a shareholder. He is nothing but a bully with his right hand lady. Minimal strategy left a number of us with no other option but to evacuate.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aha the old csc

I wondered how a company founded in 2017 has 100,000 plus staff.

I worked for csc in a division of 200 staff during the dot com era that eventually wittled down to 3 of us doing a 3 page site for a utility. Still in the same plush offices, good while it lasted.

CSC was essentially a vehicle for firing staff. IMHO It was a good place to get fired from!

17. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"exec veep of Digital Transformation and Customer Advocacy."

I make that four Bingo squares in one job title, six if you also count the pairs of words.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I wondered how a company founded in 2017 has 100,000 plus staff."

I am working in DXC (and no, I'm not going to quit, actually I quite enjoy it) at lower-middle management level and I never could understand where the f*ck these 130k people are and what they are doing. I have visibility over quite a piece of whole company and I see something like maybe 20k people. I can understand 20, ok even 40k more which I am not aware of. But what the f*ck these 100k people is doing there??? And where??? For sure they are not working in delivery. I guess they could fire half of them and no one would notice.

I am not surprised that heads are falling in US but I'm not going to tell you why :D It's well deserved, even if it's not recent management fault, somebody must be put to blame

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> ... even if it's not recent management fault, somebody must be put to blame.

That is the attitude of sociopaths and people who add no value at all to any group.

Can see why you feel working in Management at DXC is fun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like