back to article Oh, fore putt's sake: Golf org PGA bunkered up by ransomware attack just days before tournament

The Professional Golfers' Association of America (PGA) was hit by ransomware just before one of the sport's biggest pro events, which teed off on Thursday. Scrambled files on its infected computers include "creative materials" for this week's PGA Championship as well as next month's Ryder Cup, Golf Week reported. The software …

1. Flakk

Commentary

"Ooooo... that's a bad lie in a nasty trap. Let's see what tool he pulls out to address this problem and get back onto the fairway."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good thing they got CDW backing them. lol

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm puzzled: CDW?

I know the company that manages their sites. I'll bet it's going to be (!)fun around there for a while.

2. Jay Lenovo
      Devil

No more Green Reading Books, but maybe Threat Management Guides will be allowed

PGA President Paul Levy looks to the IT sponsors for relief.

Sadly they respond, "Tough break, but you're gonna have to play where it lies."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ow

Sounds like they got the shaft. Let's hope they're able to iron things out. Eagle eyed administrators wood have been able to spot the bogey. But par for the course they ran into a hazard.

Also: tiny windmills. That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"look's like he's being penalized for not double checking his score card before signing it, Rhett. An ounce of redundancy is worth a whole bunch of money at the end of the tournament."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real threat

is not that the PGA won't get their data back - it is that all their members will be "outed".

Golf. It's just wrong. Let's make it illegal, build housing on the golf courses, and be done with it.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Sandbox

It is against their principles to use one.

7. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Any way you slice it that's rough. I bet the criminals get a fairway before being caught. Do you think we all need to chip in and help?

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Golf? I'd have thought all they had to do would be shout out of the club-house window "Does anybody there know about IT" and they'd be inundated with a selection of IT salesmen and their victims currently winning golfing partners.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Internet-facing RDP servers? Why? Just why?

1. HandleAlreadyTaken

The servers were fine, but the firewalls weren't: they got a hole in one.

10. The Nazz

What a bunch of ...

Divots.

Was reading a BBC article yesterday (can't be arsed to provide a link) , re some amateurish research pointing out that a moderate and active lifestyle leads to good mental health. With the caution that those who exercise over 150 minutes a week may be damaging their mental health.

And a round of golf lasts how long? 4 to 6 hrs*.

Nutters.

*far too long,it should be 2 hrs maximum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a bunch of ...

Not that I buy that researcher's conclusion, but I don't think golf (especially as played here in the US, where most people ride a cart) is exercise on the same level as running or lifting weights.

And yeah, people should play faster - unfortunately too many take their cues from what they see on tour. It makes sense the pros play slow, when one stroke over 72 holes can mean hundreds of thousands of dollars difference in your pocket! I think playing in two hours might be asking a bit much though unless you are playing alone and walking fast. Most people would probably take 90 minutes to walk four miles carrying a bag or pulling a cart, and 'four miles' assumes you hit the ball straight all the time (I've had days where I probably walked six :)) That leaves only 30 minutes for actual shots, criss crossing the green, etc.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What a bunch of ...

"And a round of golf lasts how long?"

We had a putting green behind my hall of residence in London. I never did finish it. If I'd been able to stay I'd probably still be punting little, no longer white, balls backwards and forwards past those holes. So it could last well over 50 years.

Stupid game.

11. ecofeco Silver badge
    Coat

Not surprised

This is what happens when you putter around without actually sinking the holes. You end up with sub-par results and are handicapped.

Apparently they had neither the drive nor iron will to fix this. I'd would be tee-d off about it. This will probably put a wedge between them and the green in their bottom line.

12. PeterM42
    Joke

I could ......

....CLUB anyone who makes any more puns.

Oh!

1. The Nazz

Re: I could ......

Just a little mashie then, oops.

13. Alan Brown Silver badge

And yet another organisation learns the value of backups....

... AFTER the event which required them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like