back to article Can you hear that? It's the world's smallest violin playing for DXC, IBM and Capgemini

British businesses and the public sector spent £448m less on infrastructure services (IS) from DXC Technology, IBM and Capgemini in 2017. Man counts pounds and pence. Photo by Shutterstock Oh dear, DXC: Outsourcer loses two UK.gov contracts READ MORE Frankenfirm DXC was still by far the biggest recipient of IS cash, hauling …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Via various sources we hear of strong uptake in the Public Sector and believe that it could be worth 20 per cent of its business in the UK."

So this puts UK citizens' data at the mercy of the US CLOUD Act. No wonder HMG wanted to leave itself wriggle room in the new DPA.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is no cloud

it's just someone else's computer

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely the £448m less isn't about less infrastructure but moving things to cheaper suppliers - AWS, Wipro, HCL....

Probably done by people who traditionally have steered clear of "cheap" because of quality concerns but now realised "just how much worse could it be?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a race to the bottom, OutSourcing will lose to Cloud. IBM / DXC / CapGemini will lose to WiPro, HCL, Capita. Smart users will have realised that with OutSourcing nobody wins and take out-sourced systems back in-house to hopefully recover some semblance of maintainability and quality of service. In the mad race to the bottom - who will be the next headline grabbing public systems outage? Probably another bank. I'm stuffing my money under the mattress where I know its safest ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like